Family Feuds

Everyone in the room was staring at Jax. We were all holding our breaths, waiting for his revelation. I still had an arm on Jamie's back, and I rubbed it gently. I felt hurt and betrayed by Lola, but I knew it wouldn't compare to how Jamie felt. Jax let out a sigh. The first audible sound since he had spoken a minute or so before.

"Fin. Things have been... awful. But in their own weird way, they love you." Finley scoffed slightly.

"No they care about how much money I make." He replied. "Jax you can't seriously believe they have my best interest at heart. They ignored me when I was spiralling and as for my recovery..."

"Yeah because they couldn't bear to see you in that state. They blamed themselves for everything. They blamed themselves for pushing you towards acting, and then for not being here when you got mugged." Jax sounded hurt too. "I know we aren't close. It's partly my fault, but since you got famous they felt like you pushed them away, then you met Claire." My heart started pounding.

"Nothing that has happened to me was Claire's fault. So don't even think of blaming her." Finley warned.

"No Fin. They were so happy for you. You have no idea how much Mom cried when she found out you split. That's why she said what she said. She was angry that you couldn't see what you had going for you. When you introduced us to Claire, she felt like you had finally forgiven them for everything that happened. She thought you were moving forward and then you just... spiralled." Jax said. Fin sat back.

"See Finley?" Mum said quietly. "I'm sure she's devastated at everything that's happened. Not everyone is able to deal with the tough things you have been through. It was hard on us seeing what happened." I gently put a hand on Fin's shoulder. I squeezed it slightly.

"That doesn't excuse what I just heard come out of her mouth." Fin said coldly. That was the one thing I agreed with him about. She had no right to spit that venomous slur at Jamie. He had such an important role in our lives and she clearly didn't understand that.

"Fin, it's ok." Jamie said. I was taken aback. "She's hurt. Hurt people, hurt people." He sounded far more relaxed than he should have, but ultimately it was Jamie's decision on whether he stayed angry or not. "I agree what she said was awful, and I am not excusing it. I expect a proper apology, however maybe you all need to work on this relationship to fix it. If it doesn't work, at least you tried. Family is important. I can say that because mine disowned me." Jamie had never been so frank about this before. Especially not in a big group of people. "If they are toxic, then I agree, shut them out of your life. Never speak to them again, but if they care, give them a chance." I was so proud of Jamie. I couldn't believe he was this understanding after having such a vile word spat at him.

"Fin, please. If it doesn't work out, you can hold it against me forever and I won't blame you. Just please, let them try." Jax said quietly. Finley relented.

"Fine. But before they set foot in this house, Mum owes Jamie an apology. That doesn't mean I forgive her either." He said looking at Jax. He nodded and smiled fondly at his brother,

"Thanks Fin. Jamie, thank you too. For the record that is the first time I've ever heard my Mom speak like that. I will be having a discussion with her about it. I never want her to hurt anyone ever again. She shouldn't use that kind of language ever." Jax said. Jamie simply nodded.

"You can tell them to come back in then." Finley said quietly. "They haven't left, the gate buzzer hasn't gone off." He said. I stood up.

"I'll go get them." I said. I walked out of the house. Lola was sobbing loudly and even though I was furious at her, I couldn't help feeling for her too. I rapped on the window with my knuckles and waited for them to open it.