Love Prevails

I was sat on a boulder with my head in my hands. Why hadn't I said yes? I wanted to desperately, but I was too afraid. The last time this had happened... I didn't want to think about it.

"Claire! Honey are you ok?" I heard my Mum say. She sat next to me and wrapped her arms around me squeezing the air out of my lungs. I embraced her and let out a lofty sigh

"I'm fine, I just..." I stopped, the weight of my emotions bearing down on me like a ten ton press "Tom." I hadn't spoken that name in a long time. The trauma he had inflicted on me had been buried long ago, but the thought of him was enough to wound me all over again. I was so embarrassed, and angry. I thought I was over what happened, but being put in that position again threw me off completely.

"Oh sweetheart." My Mum said. She ran her fingers through my slightly knotted hair gently and put her temple against mine.

"I know it's dumb. I just really wasn't expecting it Mum. It scared me." Jamie caught up to us and sat on the other side of me. Kyler sidled up and stood awkwardly looking around.

"Are you ok Hun?" Jamie asked. I nodded slightly and then shook my head vigorously.

"I feel so dumb, and poor Fin..." I mumbled. My heart felt heavy in my chest, like it had been replaced by the very boulder we were sitting on.

"It's ok he'll understand." Mum stated. "He knows what you've been through." I felt more emotions bubble up inside me. This time guilt. I freed myself from Mum's arms and grimaced slightly.

"He doesn't know about Tom. I couldn't tell him." I revealed to them.

"You silly sausage." Mum said. "Well don't worry, I'm sure once you explain, he'll understand completely." She said with a firm nod. She was so sure, but I wasn't. What if Finley suddenly decided I wasn't the one?

"Oh babe, it'll be ok." Jamie said. He placed an arm around my shoulders and squeezed me gently. "When he told us earlier he was so certain-" I cut him off quickly.

"Wait, you all knew?" I asked looking around at them. They all nodded, even Kyler nodded. So they had all been in on this.

"He even asked for your Dad's and Jamie's blessing. He did it the right way sweetheart. If any of us believed he wasn't right for you. We would have told him not to." Mum explained. Now I felt even worse. I had just run away from the man I loved, because I was letting my anxiety win.

"You know this is your anxiety don't you hun?" Jamie asked softly. He took one of my hands and gave it a reassuring squeeze. I felt nauseous. I wasn't sure if it was the heat, or the situation.

"It is. I feel so dumb. Poor Fin, he's going to be devastated." I murmured. As if by magic, Finley and Dad appeared in front of me. I still had the shakes and I looked up at Fin. He squatted down in front of me, and took both of my clammy hands in his.

"Are you ok?" He asked. His angelic face was filled with sadness and concern and it was my fault. I thought we weren't going to hurt each other anymore and here I was. Hurting Fin again.

"I'm ok, you caught me off guard. Are you ok? I'm so sorry." I said. He patted my hands gently.

"Claire it's ok. Your Dad explained. I get it. I'm so sorry, I had no idea." I bit my lip. I quickly grabbed Fin around the neck, practically in a chokehold and hugged him tightly.

"Don't apologise. You have nothing to apologise for Fin. Everything you said was beautiful. This is my fault. I'm the one who's sorry." He pulled me to my feet and picked me up by my waist.

"I get it now. It's ok Claire. I understand and I'm so sorry that anyone did those things to you. I promise I will spend the rest of our lives proving to you that you are worthy, deserving, and beautiful. I love you, and I never want you to feel like anything anyone has said or done to hurt you, is true. You're perfect to me." He said. I was almost in tears because Finley always knew the right thing to say. I hadn't noticed Mum pull her phone out. She began recording.