The Last Time

Just a quick warning.... this chapter does contain a racial slur. I want to say I am completely against racism, and I do not condone it in any way shape or form. We should all be actively anti racist.
______________________________________________

I allowed Finley to get out of the car alone. I wasn't sure what they were doing here. They hadn't bothered with Fin since he had begun getting better. I wasn't sure why their relationship was so tumultuous, Finley didn't really discuss it. I had learned throughout the years, the harder I pressed him, the more he shut himself down. I saw them talking, and Finley began gesticulating wildly. I tried not to stare, but I wanted to know what I was about to get out of the car to. The back passenger side door opened and Jamie clambered in.

"What's going on?" He asked. I shrugged gently and turned to face him.

"I have no idea. All I know is they haven't spoken in about two months. I have no idea why they're even here." I looked at Jamie and he raised his eyebrows. "Are they still arguing? Don't make it obvious you're looking though." Jamie adjusted his seating position. He moved his eyes to look over my shoulder and nodded.

"Oh yes, it looks pretty heated actually," he reported. "Oh, his Dad's shouting now. Ok, ok, Fin's coming back. Act natural." Jamie said. What both of us did could not be further from 'acting natural'. We fell completely silent as Fin climbed back into the car.

"So not only do we have those blood suckers waiting outside the gates, we also have my wonderful leeches who want to be here all of a sudden." He raged.

"Why? What do they want?" I asked. If there was one thing I knew about Fin's family, when they showed up it was never good news. Fin opened the garage and the parade of cars snaked up the driveway one after the other. I notice Malcolm was also here. God the house was going to be crowded. Once we were inside the garage I jumped out of the car. Jamie stepped out and Finley came and joined us.

"Before you two go anywhere can I say something?" Jamie asked. Finley and I both looked at him. "I know I was opposed to this, but I'm so happy for you both. Who would have thought spending time together in that hotel on the first day we all met, would have led to this. I love you both so much and I couldn't be happier for you. Seeing your relationship thrive this time around has been amazing. Thank you for sharing so many special moments with me." I felt a lump forming in my throat. I immediately threw myself into Jamie's arms.

"Thank you for being here for us Jay. You've done so much to help us get here and been so supportive when we were both going through shit. I couldn't ask for a better brother." I said, my voice cracking as I spoke. I was so blessed to have such an amazing best friend, and even luckier that he had accepted Finley in my life.

"Actually Jay, I wanted to ask you something anyway." Fin said. He spoke softly. I released Jamie and turned to look at Fin.

"Sure Fin, what can I do for you?" He said.

"I know we haven't set a date or anything, but there is one thing I'm sure about for the big day. Will you be my best man?" He asked. "I can't think of anyone I would rather have by my side on the big day. I know we don't say it much, but you're my best friend. I'm grateful that you allowed me the chance to get to know you, and that you accepted me immediately." Tears began streaming down my face. I hadn't thought about it much, but Jamie and Finley had become really close. It was Jamie's turn to cry now. They both hugged.

"Of course I will Fin. Thank you for even thinking of me. I would be honoured." He said through loud sobs. My heart was swelling with joy and I couldn't believe I was lucky enough to have three incredible men in my life, and such a tight knit family.

"Thank you so much Jay. I can't wait to share our special day with you." Finley said. The both slapped each others backs and I wiped my eyes with the cuff of my hoody.