Normal Life

It had now been nearly two years since Finley and I had broken up. I told myself I was happily living alone. Jamie had moved out a few months before after Kyler and him had finally taken the plunge. I however was still single. It was how I liked it. My work life had returned to normal and I couldn't remember the last time the press mentioned my name. I was going about my daily  life at work. I had just gotten out of a long meeting. I had to present the monthly quality figures. I got back to my desk and sat down. I began looking through some standards so I could write some new procedures for the company.

A few hours later I was still engrossed in my work. It was six o clock and everyone in the office had left except my manager and I. He came out and stood in front of my desk.

"You ok Claire?" He asked with a smile on his face. I looked up at him over my monitor. I got on well with him, even if we butted heads occasionally. He was a short, brown haired, brown eyed middle aged man. He always dressed smartly and was clean shaven.

"I'm Ok thanks Wesley how are you?" I asked as I stopped typing. I placed my hands on the smooth surface of my desk and looked up at him.

"I'm good, but are you sure you're ok?" He asked. He raised one of his eyebrows at me and I sat back in my chair. He was clearly probing for something but I had no idea what.

"Um yeah I'm sure, is something wrong?" I asked. Maybe I had made a mistake. I racked my brain but nothing came to mind.

"No not at all, it's just, everyone is a little worried about you. You've been here morning, noon, and late at night almost every day for the past month and it's a lot. You look exhausted and I think you need to slow down a little. I admire your dedication to your job, but there's more to life than work. You should be out experiencing it whilst you're young." He said. He sounded genuinely concerned, and I had to stop myself from scoffing. I had experienced more than enough life to last me a life time.

"Thank you Wesley, I really appreciate the concern but I'm honestly fine. I would rather be here than at home. At least I'm doing something productive. Can I share something with you about my life?" I asked. He pulled up a chair and sat opposite me. He nodded and sat back, ready to listen.

"I have experienced so much in the past couple of years. I don't know if you've heard of Finley Beckett," I said. He nodded.

"Yes of course, he's quite famous." He said.

"Well that's my ex." He looked shocked and then a realisation spread across his face.

"I knew you looked familiar when I hired you." He said, snapping his fingers. I continued,

"Yeah. Now let me just say, getting over him was one of the hardest challenges I've ever had, but do you wanna know what's harder? Waking up in the middle of the night, almost every night to go and check on someone who has sprayed your whole bathroom with vomit. Checking they are still breathing because they've passed out so heavily in said vomit, cleaning the shower, washing them getting them to bed, and then cleaning the bathroom. Then going to do a twelve hour day with paparazzi following you. I can tell you that working as many hours as I do has nothing on what I used to do." He looked shocked. I smiled sweetly at him hoping he had got the message.

"Wow Claire, I had no idea." He said.

"Mhm that's because I don't enjoy thinking or talking about it. It was a tough time and I've seen enough ugliness in my time to know that as long as I keep focused, keep my head down and plough on I'll be fine. I've fought so hard to get my life back, and now I have it, I won't give it up for anyone or anything." I replied. He nodded and it seemed he had come to the realisation this wasn't up for discussion. "Also, I know I've shared that with you, but please keep it to yourself. Like I said I've fought hard to get my life back and I have no interest in going backwards or reliving those memories." I said quietly.