The Scare

I had returned to work. Finley was still in hospital and I spent every spare moment I had by his side. Making the hour long journey between the hospital and my workplace was taking it's toll. I wasn't sleeping well either. Partly because sleeping on a chair was crap, and partly because I was afraid something would happen to Fin. The doctors had made it clear that even though he was awake and talking, he was still fragile. His brain swelling had stopped reducing and they were concerned there was now long term damage. Work offered a welcome distraction from that, except for the fact everyone was now gossiping about my relationship with Finley. Some people even had the audacity to outright ask if we were back together. It made me angry that it was all people cared about. They didn't care that he was still severely ill or that he might not get better. Oh no. His love life was far more important. One colleague had been given a disciplinary for what they had said to me. I was sat at my desk typing away in my own world, thinking about what book I would start with Finley that day. I looked up and noticed all eyes on me. I sat back in my chair and frowned.

"What do you all want to know?" I asked. It was sad but this was the only way I would get any work done.

"What are red carpet events like?" One colleague asked.

"How many famous people have you met?" Another piped up.

"Are you and Fin ever getting back together?" I allowed them all to harp on for a few minutes, using the time to try and think of a comeback that would shut them all up.

"Ah yes. The real important questions. Never mind a human being is in hospital and severely ill. No his love life and being a celebrity is much more important." I began a sarcastic round of applause. "Well done to you all, you'll make fabulous paparazzi one day." I went back to typing, not answering their questions. None of it was their business. I was here to do a job not to gossip. A few minutes later my phone started ringing. I recognised it as the hospital and answered.

"Hello is this Miss Wilson?" I heard the gum chewing receptionist ask.

"Yes, speaking?" I said.

"I'm calling from Memorial, Malcolm asked me to tell you that Finley has been taken to surgery. He had a fit and the doctors have found a bleed on his brain."

"I'll be there in an hour." I said. I rang off and went to speak to Wesley. He told me to go and keep him updated. I was so grateful to have him as a boss. I rushed out of work and immediately rushed to get my car started and get going. I drove as carefully as I could. I knew if I let myself I would be reckless. This is exactly what I was afraid of. This is why I hadn't wanted to leave his bedside. This hour long drive was going to be agonising and slow. I turned the radio up loudly to keep me connected to the real world. It didn't help that much.

By some miracle I arrived at the hospital in one peice. Luckily the paps weren't here. They had developed a schedule around my usual time of arrival and departure. I ran in and Malcolm came to greet me. We shared a hug. I swear I had hugged this man more in the past four weeks than I had in the past four years. Malcolm knew I would want an explanation and began talking.

"We were sat chatting, about you actually, and I asked him a question. The next thing I knew his eyes rolled back and he started fitting. They managed to stop the fit, but they're pretty sure this bleed on the brain has something to do with the swelling." He stopped for a second and put his hand on my arm. I searched his face for answers. I had never seen Malcolm looking emotional. It was strange and made me feel uneasy.

"What Malcolm?" I asked, pressing him for more information.

"They don't know if he's going to wake up." He choked out. I nearly collapsed under the weight of his words.