Chapter 6

Thor P.O.V

I was currently picking some Nightshades from the royal gardens in Asgard. I was going to give Percy the flowers to officially start courting her.

When an Asgardian courts a maiden, a gift of purple flowers are given to  her as a sign of faithfulness. Even though were were engaged I still wanted to court her, or as Midgardians say 'date' her. I wanted to make my gift a bit more special by choosing Nightshades to honor her fallen friend, Zoe Nightshade, daughter of Atlas. 

I was hoping she would accept them and not scorn away my attempts, but you never know since this was my culture and not hers. I could just hope that she would not be offended. I had read a few books about the Greeks but I did not find anything about courting gifts, only about the apples. 

When I was done picking my flowers I went to Percy's apartment. She had told me her address though an Iris message when I had asked to meet her mother and step-father. I was making an effort to seem like I was courting her so I wanted her mothers blessing, which was also an Asgardian custom.

I knocked the door and waited patiently for her to open the door. When it did open I was hit by bright green eyes and the scent of the sea which seemed followed her everywhere.

"Hello, Percy. How are you this fine day?" I politely asked her, awaiting her reply. "I'm fine...do you have to be so formal?" She asked me. I kicked myself mentally for not remembering that she hated formalities.

"Sorry Percy." She waved my apology away and gestured for me to sit on the couch. I sat and made space for her to sit. Taking the hint she too sat down and looked at me expectantly. I was so mesmerized by the sparkle in her eyes that I momentarily forgot why I had come here.

"Oh, right! Um, these are for you. Purple flowers are a courting gift in my culture and I want do do this properly even though we have an arranged marriage. They are also flowers called Nightshade which are to honor the fallen lieutenant and um, yeah..." I rambled on. While I was speaking I didn't notice the small tear falling from the heroine's eyes. 

"Thank you...this means so much to me." she said, "I'm touched, truly." she quickly wiped away the tear and stood up. "I'm going to call my mother." she mumbled and hurried away.

i just sat their not knowing what to do or expect from my fiance's mother. Would she be nice? Understanding? Protective? Angry? My train of thought was interrupted when a calm but deadly voice was heard.

"So, you are the god marrying my daughter." she said. I immediately got up, scared by the petite woman in front of me. I could tell that she was a kind woman just by looking at her but the fire in her eyes was making me doubt my assumption. 

Well, I sure had a good life.