Chapter 38

"Darling......darling, look at me." He pleaded, trying to get Persia's sea-green eyes to focus on his. She was looking at him but it were as if she were looking through him. The intensity of her gaze was gone. He could see that she was trying, but she was clearly too tired. 

It was proven when she slightly swayed on the spot, and fluttered her eyes. She would have fallen straight back down if Thor wouldn't have placed a hand on her shoulders, and steadied her. 

She stubbornly tried to get back on her feet and tried pushing  him away but was too weak to do anything. Frustrated, she gave up and leaned heavily on Thor and closed her eyes, the struggled draining the meager amount of energy she had left. All she wanted now was sleep.

Sensing her desire, Thor chuckled inwardly and picked her up, and swung her arms around his neck. She was heavier than he expected but realized that the amount of muscles she had must weigh something, because he knew that she did not have an ounce of fat on her. But it was no problem for him, after all he worked out as well.

He carried her the short distance, carrying her bridal style, feeling quite smug about it. Percy was an free-spirited woman and for her to rely on him for anything made him feel so useful. She was so independent that sometimes he questioned his own utility.

Did she really need him in her life?

But at times like this, he was assured that he did have a role in her life. He remembered that even she was not invincible. She would eventually run out of strength and when she did, he would be there, ready to give her his.

***

Persia mentally cursed the person who left the blinds open. The harsh daylight shone through her lids, smuggling its way into the peaceful darkness which covered her like a blanket. She turned away and shut her eyes even tighter. She was just about to drift back into her lazy slumber, when she hit something hard as she stretched. 

"Ow!" Someone yelled. She must have hit harder than she thought. She twisted her neck to see her blonde god. "Hello." She greeted him groggily and crawled towards him.

He was sitting on the edge of the huge bed and shifted slightly to accommodate her sleepy form in his lap. He gently rested his book which he was reading  and unconsciously started to stoke Percy's hair with his one free hand.

Laying her head in his lap with him playing with her tangled locks was even more pleasing than pillow and covers. She snuggled closer into him, suddenly wanting to show affection. 

She had just woken up and her hair was messy and there was a bit of dried drool on her cheek, but she still managed to melt his heart with her cuteness as she buried her head into his stomach. 

tap-tap, thump-thump

They were interrupted by a forceful knock on the door, a rapid sound conveying urgency. Percy shifted to allow Thor to attend to the  door, and tried to fix herself, neatening her hair and washing her face.

She took a peek at the general direction of the door expecting Thor to be conversing with a minister or Loki, who was a frequent visitor, but there was no one. She was confused but alarmed. Thor's face was pale and he was slumped on a chair.

She rushed to his, looking for an injury, a wound, anything, only to be held at the shoulders. "Whats wrong?" She asked him, their face inches apart, his eyes avoiding hers. 

"They've decided." 

"Decided what?" She asked, hoping that her hunch was wrong. After receiving no reply, she shook him, "Decided what?"

"The tests" 

She felt herself slipping into a lifeless state, much like Thor's but she tensed her arms instead, her fingernails digging into her palm. The pain brought her back to reality, as she refused to go back to her pathetic self.

She realized how pitiful she had been, wallowing in her own fears and worries. But it was over now. She was still afraid to lose him, but why worry when she was sure that it wasn't going to happen?

So she smirked, and said, "So?"