Chapter 58

Percy's P.O.V

Red clouded my vision as I ducked, feeling the blade cut through the air above me. The fight with Miss Serious didn't last long, I had tripped her and she'd broken her leg, but she definitely left me a parting gift. 

She had been built like a bull, strong and broad, ready to topple me. And I'd almost had. Brute strength may not be the best way to fight, but it was the hardest one to conquer. I had fought almost everyone, but she had been the one to mark me, in a most inconvenient place, if I said so myself.

A nice long cut stretched through my eyebrow, marking me from my forehead to the corner of my right eye. I bled fire as I tried to fight Shorty, the blood rendering me blind in one eye. It was like a red filter but I was grateful that the cut was above only one eye. I could've used both, but one eye should do the trick. Hot blood dripped on the floor as we spun and twirled, trying to mark each other. She was my last opponent and victory over her was desperately needed. 

Unfortunately, she seemed to share my determination. Snarling, she ducked under my sword, again. This was getting irritating. She was small and she knew how to use it to her advantage. I was steadily getting more and more agitated and she knew it. I needed to get my head back before I felt for the vixen's trap.

 I swung wildly, madly, forcing her back. To her it seemed like my anger was guiding my blows, but my only objective was to put some much-needed distance between us. Even though she didn't like it, I forced her back, taking a page from Serious's tactics. Strength was an asset if used with brains. I stopped my ridiculous moves abruptly, and stepped back, moving as fast as possible.

She noticed what I was doing and turned towards me, but till then, I had used her confusion and the distance to take a few deep breaths and wipe the sweat and blood from my face. I must have looked quite the image, with blood all over one side of my face and heaving after fighting so many times. I shook my head. I forced myself to focus. I was ready for her. 

She was standing a few feet away from me, scrutinizing, assessing my next moves. Well, I didn't give her a chance. Before I knew what I was doing, I had pounced on her and pinned her down, trying to place Riptide at her neck. But if she'd giving up so easily, she wouldn't be here. 

She drew a small blade, a dagger within her bodice and swung wildly at me, the fact that I was on her not bothering her. I tried to avoid her attacks, but with our close proximity, Riptide was nothing more than useless.

I thought of Annabeth for a moment there, thought of all the things she'd taught me.
I punched Shorty's collarbone.
Piper's words, Jason's encouragements flashed through my mind as quick as a snake.
I dodged, missing the blade by inches.
I saw Leo's smile, laughing at how badly I messed up.
I couldn't dodge this time. Pain flared from my abdomen.
I felt Hazel's eyes on my as I tried to focus. I remembered Frank's teasing.
I felt blood and pain, lots of it.
I saw Thor with his twinkling eyes.

I smiled. Ignoring the ache from my stomach, I punched her again, this time aiming for her throat. I put everything into that punch. My pain, my love. It hurt. A lot. But I knew it was going to hurt a lot more of I gave up. So I didn't.

She choked behind the power of my blow, and fell to her knees after strutting around like she'd won. I kicked her, sending her sprawling. I didn't look back. 

I could feel the gaze of so many on me, burning holes right through me, but I focused on the pair that I really wanted to see. Thor looked horror-struck, relived, scared and ecstatic at the same time. But there was something else. Something more pronounced in them as well.

I saw love, as I fell, blackness enveloping me.