Chapter 39

"A Dinner party....?" 
"Yes."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"100%...?" Percy asked again, just to be sure.
"Yes, dear." 

Thor turned his head side-to-side, trying to rid himself of the stiffness gathered there. His voice had been exasperated and his expression one of amusement. It was a rather unusual combo, Percy thought to herself as she, again, got distracted.

".....will be many fussy and picky people there and you need to- Percy! Have you heard a word I've said?" He said, jerking her into reality. She could see his eyebrow gather as he frowned, and looked pointedly at her.

"Yes, er, picky and fussy people you were saying?" She fumbled and uttered what she recalled, which, sadly, was nothing. 

Knowing her, he simply sighed and started again, hoping that this time she would at least inhale half of his words. 

"The dinner party is one of the most casual, yet formal occasions that happen here. It is a casual affair, but with people who are not close, that is, people who we have political relationships with. This makes it a highly formal event." He paced the room, his long strides distracting to her cluttered mind.

She shook herself and forced herself to focus, digging her fingernails into her palms. She was sitting cross-legged on the floor which made her have to crane her neck to look at his eyes. So, instead she chose to study the marble patterns under her, giving her neck some much needed relief. 

"Inviting and taking care of guests in one's home is usually the responsibility of women, so mother takes care of event such as these. She plans everything, even the littlest of details. It may sound simple, but is not.

Now, since this is one of your tests, you will receive no help from mother, but may consult the elders or the library books, not to mention the incredibly handsome young gods are always willing to help." He paused and shot her a playful wink.

"Oh, yes. Loki will be of great help." She sassed back, unable to help herself. She could practically see him deflate at her comment, the edges of his mouth turning down, but flush slightly when he realized it was a joke.

He was too cute.

"Anyways!" He sang, still pink around the ears. Percy laughed, a light, full-bellied sound which made him, as well as herself fell good.

"Now, there will be a lot of important men and women there, and most of them fussy. You must see to it that everything is to there liking. I know it is not fair of you, not knowing our customs and practices, but I'm sure you can handle it. "

His unbending trust in her made her chest ache, not in a good way. What is she were to fail him? No, she could think like that.

"The point of this dinner is to keep good, healthy relationships with our citizens. We learn a lot from there people, who may be fussy, but have a good heart. It is in a way, one of the very important parts of the royal family, and will be."

Thor's eyes shone with a glimmer of pride. She could see the blue-grey of his eyes shine bright in way that only did when he spoke  of Asgard. He may have a home with the Avengers, but he is a Norse prince, through and through. 

There was something beautiful in the way he did ordinary, mundane things. She could not figure out what had made him different, what added to his ethereal charms, but she knew now. 

It shone bright, bright as the sun. And not just with things he loved, even though there was no limit to it. Simple everyday tasks, something that she would not give a second thought to was done with such devotion. And it was not extra in one bit.

It was endearing to see the giant of a man to quirk his lips at the sight of a falling snowflake, to give a peal of laughter when the toaster popped out his bread, to start at the noise of a knock only to convert to amusement as he realized his own actions.

 It was beautiful to see someone enjoy life to its fullest, and even more special because she knew that he was never going to stop.

***

A/N-

Hello, dearest readers!

I have been asked to update, so hear it is! It is hastily done, since time is stretched thin, but I hope it is enough to satisfy you all.

I do hate it when writers don't update for long periods of time, and I do not wish to become one of them, so I have written a chapter.

Because of my exams, I must warn you that updates will not be as frequent till 24th. Please do forgive me, but I must focus on my studies even though I would rather write.

Thank you, and stay safe!
~Nutan