Chapter 56

Percy P.O.V

"Welcome to the third and final Bridal test!" The announcer said, a wide man with an even wider moustache yells. He thrives on the cheers coming from the spectators, basking in the glory not meant for him. I saw him often and found that he was called Lord Arne, one of the nobles lumbering around the castle, laughing loud, always searching for someone to chat with. A good man.

"Persia Jackson, daughter of Poseidon, savior of Olympus, will compete with the most eligible ladies of Asgard, as is tradition, to secure her betrothal to our Prince, His Highness Thor Odinson, Heir to the throne." As he speaks, eyes followed, first landing on me then to Thor. I steeI myself against their glances, schooling my features in a blank, unreadable canvas. Thor, on the other hand, smiles openly, making the crowd glow. They sure love their prince. 

He had no crown upon his brow, but still looks every bit the royal he is. Spine straight with a crooked smile on his lips, a simple image of power. Next to him, Loki stands, an arm slung across the back of Thor's makeshift throne. He was provided with his own, but he refused, instead choosing to flit from one place to another. He was with me for a while, murmuring insults about the ladies waiting. It made me want to laugh, but I had to maintain my image, so I chose to shove his shoulder which made him leave, pouting. 

On Thor's right was no other than Odin, his one eye occasionally meeting mine, burning through me. I mentally rolled my eyes. I faced way worse to be afraid of his throne. But to another, he was a force to be feared. Sitting proud in his sweeping robes, he lifted his chin, seeming as if he were looking down upon all. But flanking him was his wife, smoothening his rough edges with her bright smile. As long as she was there, Odin was no threat.

Arne continued, "The rules are simple. The fight must go one till one concedes. If anyone manages to best Lady Persia, then she has the rightful claim to break Lady Persia's engagement to our Prince. And further, she also has the right to participate in her own Bridal tests to prove her worth to the throne." At his words the ladies perk up, reminded of the hope. They had been somber till then, all the attention on me and Thor, but now the scrambled under the heavy weight of the crowd. Some fidgeted with their hair or armor and some slumped, trying to hide. But not all.

A few women had iron in the bones. I saw one of the ladies cross a leg over the other and smile, her lean body coiling like a snake. Even though she was sitting, I could see her strength, made not of muscles but of endurance. She was going to be fast, agile. Everything about her was elegant. Sloped eyebrows over slanted eyes and thin red lips matching her hair, not a strand out her impeccable bun. Her armor looked just as neat, showing me that she had a high standing. Pretty.

Next to redhead was another formidable enemy. She was a warrior, no doubt, not bothering to hide her distaste. She was tall with broad shoulders and a face with a sneer set in place. She wasn't unpleasant to look at, with handsome features under a shaved head. All business, she screamed, her eyes searching for weakness just as mine were.

The third one was hard to spot, a small woman who was trying to look even smaller, curving into herself. It was working well, until I accidentally met eyes with her and saw the gleam of intelligence in them, knowing that she might be the hardest one to beat. It was a good strategy she was using, seeming weak, but I knew better. 

Redhead, Serious and Shorty. My only threats, I was sure.

"Let the test begin!"