Chapter 57

Percy P.O.V

We circled each other, predators ready to pounce. Bronze and silver glinted in the sunlight, hoping to be coated with red. I squinted, cursing Apollo. With the sun in my eyes, I was at a disadvantage, but still, my lips stretched into what I hoped wasn't a feral smile.

I had trained myself to feel the water in the air, letting it whisper my opponent's unseen movements. With the sun at her back, Redhead was nothing but a silhouette, all lines and angles. She was holding herself in a half crouch, twin daggers taunting in her hands. Riptide was also out, the blade drawn out just in time to dodge her quick jabs.

My armor clanged as I stepped back, unsurprised by her speed. I knew that she was fast, but just needed to see how fast. Keeping the smile steady, I retaliated, knocking Riptide on her forearm, making her loosen her grip on her knife. It was a simple dagger in comparison to her armor, studded with a simple green emerald which glimmered as it fell from her hand, extracting a cheer from the crowd. 

Redhead looked at me with shock plastered, lips pulled back in a scowl. She forged ahead, engaging in quick combat, the loss of a weapon not enough to ruffle her feathers. Sighing, I crouched, eager to see how she was going to use her anger. Using precise slashes and stabs I managed to hold Redhead, using Piper's and Annabeth's coaching, but having already fought with a few of the ladies, I could feel my energy depleting.

The fight with Redhead was longer than the most. Her speed and agility countered my own, but I knew she was no match for my skill. Call me arrogant, but I knew the thin line between confidence and overconfidence. Having a god as a parent made sure that we knew that there was someone better. As cold as it sounded, it kept us on our toes.

I glanced at her face for a moment, happy with what I saw. Frustration was building, just as I'd hoped. She got points for being fast, but I also knew that she was used to getting quick wins, and it must have itched her to be so long in a fight without getting a scratch on me. All I needed now, was for her frustration to make her sloppy. 

It wasn't long before her attacks turned vicious instead of precise and her long form started to slow. She was getting tired. I danced with her, Riptide more than happy to oblige and send her last dagger flying. Her eyes raged and she roared, charging at me, trying to wrap her hands around my neck. I dodged, swinging my arm so that Riptide's tip rested on her heaving collarbone. 

I forced her to stay in the position for a moment longer, making sure she understood who stood where. I let my hand return to my side and heard her exhale. The exclamations of the people rose around me as they had before. I waved their way and returned to ,y chair to rest without sparing a glance his way.