Chapter 41

Percy was muttering under her breath, practicing the tradition Norse greetings. She was in constant movement, trying to appease her ADHD mind, but the strong fingers steadying her head prevented her from moving.

She had reassured them that she could get ready herself, but the little maids, who had rather grown very fond of her, insisted that they help, even if it were a favor. She could not reject their sweet offer so there she sat, motionless as soft flowers were woven in her hair.

She had already decided on her outfit, a formal dress, but had not given much thought to her face or hair, but after realized that she was underprepared, she was very grateful for their help.

She had selected a rather fancy gown, something that she would never had worn back home, but now that she was hosting an even for the royal family, she had to look the part. 

It was a modest dress, clinging at the neck to her wrists. The sleeves and he area above her chest was of a sheer material, but the dress and bodice was of a heavy, dark blue which flowed to the floor. It had a few jewels at the bottom, set in a way that showed as if they were creeping up her dress, giving her an ethereal look. It hugged her waist and flowed out, showing hits of her hips when she moved.

She had grown accustomed to the tight bodices and flowy skirts after spend most of her time in them, and had come to admit, that they were not so bad. But she still would rather wear jeans any day.

She was slowly starting to regret her decision as she nervously started to sweat under the thick fabric. She could feel beads of perspiration slowly crawl down her neck, but was glad that her hair was down, hiding them.

Her maid, Ama, had done an exceptional job with her usually unruly hair. She had fit in small white flowers, the same colors as the gems at her hemline, made it seem like they were floating in her hair. It looked good, Ama had said, and Persia was in full agreement. 

She had gotten the look down, she though as she fastened on her earrings, and now was the the time to see whether it could be said for the rest.

***

Thor was feeling rather stuffy in his ceremonial armor and heavy cape. He had always avoided all fancy events, attending only when it was important, so he had never really gotten used to the formal attire needed. 

He was supposed to mingle and chat with the diplomats, but he just wasn't in the mood. He wanted to be with Percy, who was at the huge doors, greeting all the guests. She was quite the vision, a figure of the night sky with her dark blue dress and shimmering diamonds. 

How she was still smiling, he didn't know. But he could see the effect it was having on the diners. Usually, when these parties were held, Frigga was next to Odin, acting as queen, so she had only time to organize the event. 

She was elated to hear that Persia wanted to do more than just organize, and had just waved her off, giving her permission to do what she needed.

The guests were left ginning when she had smiled and invited them graciously, making each and every member seem important. It was a wonderful thing for her to do and Thor adored her for it. 

The dinner was amazing, Persia had chosen a very simple menu, but was filled with the Vikings traditional food and dishes. He had only then realized how Norse she had made the whole event. At first glance it seemed very sophisticated and elegant, but when looking at the details, he could hear it practically scream his culture.

It was so beautiful.

The guest were made to feel at home, stomachs were full, King Odin was smiling. The lilting scent of flowers and the soft music had dulled everyone into a gentle calm. He could see how satisfied everyone was, when a roar echoed through the hall.

"WHAT IN THE GOD'S NAME IS HAPPENING HERE?" 

And the worst part was that the question came along with a matching pair of eyes that he had come to love so dearly.