4. Take me home. - Sierra

There comes a time in all of our lives where we know things could never go back to how they used to be

For me, it was sixty seconds ago, when my office mate Colton dropped a banana peel on the ground. The heel of my stiletto kissed it before I skated into a counter and grazed a knife with my arm.

He had been preparing a fruit salad for a break, and I stopped in to go over some details with him. I screamed in pain as my ankles flew toward the ceiling and I landed on my back.

As I lay crumpled in a heap on the floor of the Lansing Event Center kitchen, I take in shallow breaths and try desperately not to lose it.

Colton's working himself up since he accidentally, technically caused the problem, but tries to remain calm, matching my attitude.

Friendly, early-thirties, and with a hipster vibe, Colt wears his hair styled slicked over with an undercut, black-framed glasses like mine, and truthfully has an impeccable taste in clothing. He pushes the glasses up with his ring finger and swallows noisily. "You're sure nothing's broken?"

I glance down at the cloth he firmly presses to my forearm, watching the red stain soak through. The poor guy is so freaked, it's hard not to pity him. "No, I just need stitches, I think. Help me sit up?"

With gentle hands, he assists me in propping my back against the cabinet, a welcomed cold sensation against my hot skin. "Sierra, I'm so, so, so unbelievably sorry. I should go get somebody and tell them to cancel the meeting so I can take you to the emergency room."

"I'm okay, Colt. Can you just hand me my phone before you go? I had a lunch date."

He snags my purse and pats my shoulder. "I'll be right back."

"Wait, Colt! I'll just call an Uber. Don't cancel the meeting."

He spins back around, chuckling dryly. "You've got to be kidding. There's no way I'm not taking you."

"It took forever for you to get this meeting set up."

He shakes his head, backing away. "I'll be right back."

Sighing, I carefully get to my feet and type out a text, my arm stinging as I let go of the cloth.

📱 SIERRA
I can't make lunch. I'm so sorry! I was looking forward to seeing you but I was in a small accident at work and am heading to the hospital.

📱 LIZZIE
Are you okay?! I mean, obviously, you wouldn't be texting me so calmly, but geez...

SIERRA
Yeah, but I need a couple of stitches. My coworker wants to drive me, but he has a meeting. I'm going to book an Uber in a sec.

LIZZIE
Where are you? We're out, we can pick you up, then we'll feed you.

SIERRA
My heroes! 😻