7. This is the one! - Nick

All I want to do is be with Sierra, and I glare out the window as we zip past buildings in my dad's vehicle

I exit the car with a huff, tugging on the handle of the passenger door. My mom and I exchange a brief smile as she steps out next to me, wrapping a slender arm around my waist.

The hotel has touches of old-world grace, boasting marble columns, decadent gold sconces, and plush seating in the waiting area. The restaurant is packed with diners, but we are seated within five minutes for our reservation. I tuck my hands in my pockets and scowl at the floor as we are led to our table.

"You look irritated," my dad chuckles, reaching for his water goblet.

I shake my head and run my hands over my face and apologize before spreading my napkin on my lap. My dad smirks behind his glass. "Aw, do you miss your girlfriend?"

A sheepish smile on my face, I nod as my parents snicker. "What? At least one day a year, I think I'm entitled to it."

My heart skitters to a stop as a hand covers my eyes, and the sexiest voice I've ever heard murmurs in my ear, warm and clear. "Happy birthday, baby!"

"Oh, thank God!" On instinct, I immediately hop to my feet and bend her back slightly with a big kiss. With a breathless laugh, she hugs me tightly. "I thought this was going to be the most stifling lunch ever. But—geez, you look beautiful, Sierra."

Her hair cascades over one shoulder, and she's worn heels to bring her up to my eye line. The pendant I bought her gleams above the neckline of her black dress, and a pretty cardigan hugs her waist. But it's the bright smile that melts me.

Her hand caresses my face while she gifts me with a beautiful smile. "Thrilled to see you."

Lunch stretches out until nearly two o'clock with coffee and conversation. After our meal, we say goodbye on the sidewalk outside the opulent hotel. "Go home," my dad urges. "Enjoy it while you can."

Once they depart, SiSi slides her hand into mine, giddily tugging me along to her car. She beams, glancing at me while turning the key in the ignition. "Guess what we're about to go do?"

I peel back the dress at her shoulder, slipping my thumb under her bra strap with a light growl, dotting kisses on her skin. "I get to unwrap my birthday present at home?"

"Close! I have everything set up at home, and we're adopting that cat you promised me!"

******************

Barks and light squealing carry through the area as I lean against a row of cages, running a hand up and down my bicep while watching my girl. "I'm never getting you out of here, am I?"

It's been nearly half an hour since we arrived. Sierra paraded around the adoption center, stopping at each cage twice, sliding her fingers between the bars, cooing at each creature, and deciding which one likes her best. "This is the one!" She announces, giggling as the cat mews at her when she cradles her in her arms. "Nicholas, I love her!"