1. Perfect. -Sierra

A/N This is a sequel to Hold Me Close. Events that took place prior may be necessary to understand events here. Thanks for checking this story out!

Leave me a comment and tell me
what date you started this one. 💚

You can't choose your family

You can't choose your family. If you could, I would've kicked my parents out a long time ago.

When I was thirteen years old, I unexpectedly fell asleep in my geometry class, and my dad was forced to leave work because of my climbing fever.

I conked out in the office on the squishy green bench they covered with a sheet of crinkly paper for sanitary purposes. The secretary smoothed my hair off my forehead, and I rolled over with a groan while she smiled down at me. "Your dad's here, honey."

I wished I could have gone with Mrs. Hudson instead. Her smile reached her eyes, unlike my dad's. He put his arm around my shoulders, but I knew he was irritated that I interrupted his day. He complained the entire drive home as I yawned, tears leaking out of the corner of my eye from exhaustion and rejection, silently gagging on the overpowering scent of his aftershave. I still hate that smell.

"Sorry, Dad," I mumbled. "See you later."

Chills overtook my body, and pain reeled through me as I climbed into my bed. But the realization of what he cared about when I was sick broke me. For months, I had covertly self-injured, but the following day was when I etched tiny letters below my stomach to spell out the word fuck-up.

It's no secret my parents despised each other—our neighbors could testify overhearing weekly screaming matches.

They doted on my oldest brother Leo, and my brother Alex was often a scapegoat. I was the last one. And I wasn't planned.

Instead of volatile arguments and finger-pointing, I was more likely to be given the silent treatment. A pawn between the king and queen of the castle as they explained away every dismissive choice.

I spend all of my money on having kids. It's always something with you guys.

SiSi, honey, I'm too tired to cuddle. Go find your mom.

Stop crying. It's not my fault your dad is such an asshole.

You know your mom and I had plans, Sierra, why do you have to be sick today?

Sorry we couldn't be there, something came up.

I'm sorry! Are you happy now?