46. More bad news. - Sierra

Tw // this chapter contains content about stalking. Please more forward carefully.

📱 NICHOLASYour chariot awaits, princess

📱 NICHOLAS
Your chariot awaits, princess. Can't wait to see you. Also, heads up, I saw Eric in the courtyard.

📱 SIERRA
Ooh! The best part of my day! Give me a moment to wrap this up, please.

NICHOLAS
Of course.

SIERRA
Then I'm going to kiss you breathless, baby.

NICHOLAS
I just turned so red. LOL.

***************

One week passed since the flowers arrived.

Nicholas drives me to and from work every day, and I can't say I'm at all sad about that consequence. Will, Joanie, and their friend Eric picked me up for lunch yesterday; Brian, today, and I wish I could say I feel so much lighter and freer, but it's worsened.

After hundreds of messages, phone calls, deliveries, and requests from fake social media accounts, it's clear Doug is desperate to speak.

But it's been nearly 24 hours since any contact, and I'm taking the W. I just want to kiss my husband, and curl up at home with dinner and my babies.

Humming to myself as I exit into the hallway, I wave goodbye to George at the front desk of our office as he speaks into his headset, gesturing with his hands while enthusiastically giving somebody directions.

"Night, SiSi!" I turn back to find him covering the mouthpiece and waving goodbye while I depress the down button for the elevator.

The elevator dings behind me, and the doors glide open on the floor, revealing way too many people. I back away with an apologetic smile, knowing I can't be around that crowded elevator.

"Oh, um, sorry, it's too crowded. Please go ahead."

As the doors roll closed again, I step toward the stairs right when the other elevator arrives on our floor. "Oh, perfect," I say, tucking my phone into my purse.

A broad shoulder clips mine as we collide in the doorway, and I wince, meeting the poor person's gaze. "Oh, no, I'm sorry!"

It's a blur from that second. The doors close in the blink of an eye, swallowing us up from the rest of the world. I quickly hit the back wall as the elevator launches upward.

"Hey, you. Perfect timing, huh?"

All air that was in the elevator vanished. But Jim, Linney, and I talked about what would happen if I ran into Doug alone. Keep calm, tell him you're not interested, find help.

I keep my voice level and discreetly fumble with my Apple Watch; poised to call for an emergency SOS. "Can you please let me out? I went the wrong way. Lobby, uh, I'm going to the lobby to meet Nick."