20. Let me fix this. - Nick

Slow-burning kisses exchanged, I walk SiSi backward in my childhood bedroom with small steps

Slow-burning kisses exchanged, I walk SiSi backward in my childhood bedroom with small steps. Everything is still the same as when I lived here: pictures and posters on the walls, books I didn't take to college, and the quilt my late grandma made.

The room is familiar to Sierra; we've slept here dozens of times. But tonight feels different. Tonight feels like a gigantic hurdle cleared toward marriage, and I just want to be alone in a private bubble with her.

I add a few more kisses with soft, lingering lips, my arms tightly around her waist. "Can we go home instead of sleeping here?"

"But I told your mom—"

I touch my thumb to her chin before running it along the angle of her jaw. "Please."

She hesitates, and the space between her eyebrows wrinkles. "I want alone time with my girl," I murmur, pressing my lips there. "I've shared you too much tonight. When I hear you laugh or watch you smile, I want it to be because of me."

Wow, the look I get for that is so sweet, I'd do anything to see it again. Her palm caresses my face, and a light touch is on my lower back as she moves in, laying her head on my chest. "Of course, Nicholas, let's go."

We clomp down the stairs and through the house, Sierra pausing to slip her heels on yet again, wincing. "Poor baby," I say, kissing her cheek. "Your feet must hurt."

She smiles up at me, shrugging one shoulder. "You get used to it."

A fresh, clean hint of rain breezes through the yard as we cross the threshold. I squint at the sky, but the bright lights hung overhead make it impossible to decipher if clouds suffocate the stars.

I curl SiSi into me with my arm around her shoulders as we approach my mom standing with a coworker. "Hey, Mom? Sorry, Laurie, it'll be just one second."

"It's fine, take care," Laurie says, leaning to give my mom a one-armed hug. "See you Monday. Congratulations again."

We echo goodnight and my mom turns to us with a warm smile. Disappointment flashes in her eyes, but she simply makes us promise to come over for dinner soon. I notice SiSi hugs her for longer than usual.

As I kiss the side of Ari's head and wish her sweet dreams, Sierra wanders away, and I spot her tucked into my dad's embrace near the gate. "We love you, Bug," he says quietly as Sierra squeezes him around the middle, her cheek pressed to his chest.

My heart feels full as Dad smiles fondly at me over the top of her head, then holds his arm out for me to join them. "We love you, too, Nick."

He glances around the party. "Good thing we have a tent up for eating. I think it's going to pour soon."

SiSi clears her throat. "Do you need us to help pick things up beforehand?"

I run a hand over her hair. "I can; you can rest your feet, honey."