29. My, my love. - Nick

Footsteps on the pavement and water lapping on the shore are the only sounds as we pause at the end of the walkway

Footsteps on the pavement and water lapping on the shore are the only sounds as we pause at the end of the walkway. The railing overlooking the water is cool metal; a contrast to the late September haze covering us like a fleece blanket.

For a long moment, she stands a few steps ahead, hair ruffling with the light breeze. We've left everybody else behind, and need a moment to block everything out. I open my mouth to ask what's going on, but something tells me to wait it out.

I brush fingertips over her waist, and she winds my arms around her. "Is it..."

Leaning my chin over her shoulder, I wait a few seconds. "Is what, what?"

When she finishes her thought in a tiny voice, my heart tears. "Why do I wish my dad was here?" Her body shudders in my embrace, and she covers her eyes as she weeps. "I h-hated being around him. Why would I want him to be here?"

I squeeze tighter. "It's normal to want your parents to be there for you, baby." I wildly scan the space before spotting a red wire bench. "Come over here."

For the next few moments, we huddle together on the bench. I hold her head on my chest while her insecurities manifest as sobs. "I'm so sorry," she says, shaking her head. "I can't go in there like this." She sniffles, pulling back to look at me, then covers her mouth with her fingers.

"Don't apologize. We're not going in yet. Why don't I tell them to start without us?"

"Babe, I can't do this."

My breath catches in my throat. "What do you mean? You still want to get married...right?"

"Yes," she says, holding my face as relief floods through me. "Of course I do! I'm freaking out about going in there looking like the Corpse Bride taking fifteenth place in a beauty pageant."

I snort and run my thumb along her jaw. "Do you want to skip the rehearsal? We can say you felt sick, go upstairs, and eat dinner alone. That's totally fine by me."

Sierra lets out a wet scoffing sound. "I don't want to ruin everything because I'm—" Getting to her feet, she folds her arms and glances at me. "We can go in."

"Because you're what?" I ask, grabbing her elbows to halt her. "Human?"

"I guess," she whispers, not meeting my eyes.

I swipe my thumb underneath her left eye, drawing her in closer. "Do you love me, Sierra?"

She squeezes her eyes shut and sniffles, then opens them, breaking into a smile. "More than anyone or anything. You're perfect for me."

"Well, you know what? You're perfect for me exactly as you are, honey. Whether you're my sunshine girl or cloudy."

"Say more adorable stuff."

"My guess is you're going to cry a lot more tonight, but a lot of them will be happy tears."

The laugh she lets out lightens the heaviness in my chest. "Thank you for being there for me, Nicholas. I think I'll feel better after I eat."