37. I'll survive. - Sierra

"Babe?" Over the swirling water, Nick's voice reaches my ears from the living room

"Babe?" Over the swirling water, Nick's voice reaches my ears from the living room. "Meet you there tonight, right?"

Swishing water through my mouth, I spit toothpaste into the sink, then answer. "One sec!" The toothbrush plunks into the cup with a resounding thunk, and I hurry toward him, finding him stuffing his feet into shoes.

My husband grins as I skip exaggeratedly toward him, opening his arms for me. "I'll miss you," he says, swaying me in his arms.

"Big, big kiss!" I say, closing my eyes as I lean in, digging my fingers into his hair. Nick doesn't disappoint with my request. He never does. He nips at my lips once, then takes me to heaven with soft lips and firm pressure not stopping for ten seconds as we sink into it.

"See you tonight."

"I'll look for you," he says, grabbing the garment bag hanger off the hook near the front door.

"Love you!" I say, as the door shuts.

Nick nearly falls over himself to reopen the door, poking his head back in. "I forgot to say I love you? What the hell is wrong with me?"

He drops the bag on the floor and runs over, bending me backward with one more sexy kiss. "I love you," he says once he pulls me back up.

I splay my hand over my chest and fan my face with the other. "Whew. Forget more often."

***

Everything is elegant and perfect. The vaulted ceilings in our swankiest room complement the gleaming marble floors. Pillars with gold leaf accents stretch with an impressive presence between the levels, and round tables with white tablecloths decked out round out the space.

After I do a first glance approval, I smooth the dress Nicholas picked out for our engagement party over my thighs, then shake my hair out, my chandelier earrings lightly jingling. "Carla, you there?" I ask into my radio, adjusting the earpiece.

"Yup, where are you?"

"South quadrant. You?"

"North quadrant, but I don't see—Holy shhh—look at you, babe!"

Tonight needs to be flawless and I made an exceptional effort in perfecting details, including myself. For years, I've consistently hit the gym four or five days a week, and I'm pulling out all the stops tonight. "Yessss," I say, doing a fist pump. "Thank you, Carla, you look terrific, too." I gesture to her chic jumpsuit across the room, and she fluffs her hair exaggeratedly.

Guests trickle in after six o'clock, and I'm enjoying watching people react to the ambiance I created for tonight. As I elaborate to my coworker Ernie on what needs to happen with the bachelor auction, I hear my name.