43. We need to talk. - Nick

Iron and Wine quietly plays inside my vehicle as I wait in the dimly lit parking garage near Basic Bros LLC

Iron and Wine quietly plays inside my vehicle as I wait in the dimly lit parking garage near Basic Bros LLC. Sighing, I tip my head back against the plush seating and close my weary, burning eyes.

When I got home last night, Sierra was slightly drunk, sedated from her normal medication, and exhausted. The late-night snack helped offset some of that until we curled up in bed after.

Arms wrapped around me, she rested her head on my sternum. Inhaling her vanilla scent, I ran my palm over her back and periodically laid gentle kisses on her face until she looked up at me, and I knew she was finally ready to talk.

I stayed up over half the night talking with my girl, then pacing the house after she fell asleep. I texted my dad and my brother. Then I considered but ultimately decided against texting Sierra's brother Alex. Instead I texted Pena and another friend as a plan formulated.

My blood boiled as she described Doug having the nerve to eye her up, but I should've known that was only the baseline for his delusional mind. The dog leapt to her paws as I thundered my question while she continued. "Are you serious?"

He greeted her in front of other people like they were friendly. Tried touching her like he hadn't attempted to rape her. Approached her in a parking garage. Told my little brother they had a thing.

Dangerously close to losing my mind, I forced myself to reel it back in so I didn't make it about me. She wept in my arms, and her hurt and shame were so palpable that it wrecked me, too. I held her tighter and blinked back tears, whispering every sweet thing I could think of.

Telling her how much I loved her beautiful heart and mind, and how I would always be there to hear what crazy thing she would say next. That she'd forever be my sunshine girl.

After another ten minutes of sharing tender moments of pillow talk, Sierra told me about the rest of her night. Snapping at Luke, eating at the pub with Peter, then how he showed up five minutes behind her at our home.

I kept my reaction neutral when she said he knocked on the door and apologized for what he said at the pub. He said it's nice to be friendly with somebody in the building but that if she needed to cut ties with him, she could do it without guilt.

She thought that was kind. I have other words in mind about what it is. But I'm not that worried about him—if she wants to maintain a friendship with him, we'll figure that out later because I would do anything for Sierra.

Which is what brought me here.

The car door opens, then shuts swiftly as my passenger slides in.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Well, how'd it go?"

"I need a shower after that encounter."

I quirk up my eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

Sucking his teeth, Jeremy angles his body toward me. "You're right to be worried. And cautious. I think Doug believes somehow you stole Sierra away from him."