17. Sometimes I like to get a D. - Sierra

"Good morning!" I sail into the office on Monday with a big smile and a carrier laden with coffee

"Morning, love." Carla smiles at me over her shoulder as I pass, discussing something with Alexandria in the quiet hallway.

Office hallways on Monday mornings are sacred. Hushed voices are used until everybody is ready to greet the day with as much enthusiasm as me and Colton. There may be a reason they housed us together in the same office.

He chuckles as I enter through the wide office door. "Good morning, sunshine."

It's always amusing when somebody besides Nicholas calls me that. I smile brightly at him while the carrier smoothly skates along the desk. I slip my shoulders from my jacket. "That's for you guys," I say, spinning to nab the coat hanger.

They gleefully accept caffeine with gratitude, continuing their chat in the corridor while I sign into my computer.

Colton peels the top off his coffee, inhaling. He places the cup down and slides his thick plastic glasses up his nose. "Sierra, is this you?" he asks, waving his phone in the air.

I rise from my desk chair, stepping over, and cringe at Natalia's TikTok handle. "Yes," I sigh, peering over Colton's shoulder. "That's my best friend Natalia, and that's one of the Pena twins."

Over the summer, Natalia began posting videos on TikTok of her in silly scenarios. Lip-syncing and dancing, applying makeup while doing her own TED talk, and plenty of other hijinks. Quite a few went viral.

Mateo was a regular fixture until they broke up, and now he's been replaced by Josh Pena as her regular partner in crime. Problem for me is they adore including their friends. Chris is also a frequent guest star, and they mostly catch me off guard and get consent later.

So long as it's harmless fun, I'm chill, but the video Colt has up involves them jumping out at people. Josh got a strong kick to his groin when he surprised me last week.

I groan. "Where'd you get this?"

"One of my cousins must know Natalia. Or, at least, I see Asami follows her."

Instrumental music thumps as the video queues up with a beloved 90's hip hop song. Josh appears, hidden by a hockey mask and blue coveralls, winding his arms around Nat's waist from behind. She giggles, tossing her head back as he presses his face into her neck.

Throughout the video, Natalia caresses his mask as if he's her one true love, and he resembles a possessive boyfriend. Heads turns on the busy sidewalk as they stroll past, holding hands, and people side-eye them as they stand in line at a coffee shop.

You know how you can tell videos are staged? Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty that I didn't expect some guy to growl when I hugged my best friend hello in the living room.