53. Don't be cute about that. - Sierra

Now let's see how long it took you to read. What date did you finish?
Leave me a comment. 💛

Thank you for taking the time to read my work, and leaving your comments and votes. It might like small things to you, but it makes the writer's day!

 It might like small things to you, but it makes the writer's day!

📱 B
If you don't call me, I'm just coming over there. Stop ignoring me, SiSi.

Three voicemails and dozens of texts from Brian have gone unanswered before this last one. I make a face at my phone and stand from the couch. The dog startles at my sudden movement, but the cat blinks sleepily, then closes her eyes again as I wander toward the office.

The treadmill whirs as Nick's feet pound against the belt. He removes an earbud but keeps his pace. "Sup?"

Damn, okay. I pump my eyebrows at him. "Lookin' good, husband," I say, gesturing to the sheen of sweat on his chest and stomach. "Real good."

"Thanks," he pants, breaking into a grin.

"Sorry," I say, shaking my head." I'm going to drive over to B's, okay?"

"Yeah." He swipes a hand over his thick hair to get it out of his eyes and gulps in some air. "Check in with me a little later, please. Just cause I worry, okay?"

"Love you!" I blow him a kiss as I backpedal.

"Love you. Tell him I said what's up."

There is no balmy spring weather this week; the March wind chills your bones with the damp air. I park my car next to his sedan and glare up at his apartment balcony, then exit the car while dragging in a breath, trying to psych myself up to run through the cold rain.

Be cool, SiSi. I stand outside his door and knock, willing myself to be supportive. After a few attempts, I glance back toward the elevator and decide he's not home after all.

"Keep your pants on!" B yells, heavy footsteps pounding on the other side of the door.

Oh, really? I purse my lips and fold my arms. That's how we're doing this I guess.

The deadbolt clicks before the door flies open, revealing a glistening Brian clutching a towel around his waist, hair sticking up. I brush past him. "I'm mad at you!"

Brian chuckles dryly. "Okay, well, come inside, unload, and tell me how you really feel because it's impossible to guess."

"Put some clothes on," I snap, flouncing over to the couch before flopping down.

Hand still wrapped around the doorknob, he glances over his shoulder at me while shoving it closed. "Why didn't you warn me how much fun you'd be today? I could've prepared myself."

I fight a smile, then scowl as he laughs, walking across the living room toward his bedroom. "Shut up!" I shout toward the hallway.

B laughs louder in the other room. He emerges with shorts, hastily popping on a t-shirt on his way back into the room. "So, hi, SiSi."