40. I'm torn here. - Sierra

My thick peacoat billows in the frosty wind of the mid-November chill as I hurry from the employee parking lot toward the tall glass doors

My thick peacoat billows in the frosty wind of the mid-November chill as I hurry from the employee parking lot toward the tall glass doors. The shiny metal handle chills my skin like an icicle as I yank it open, hurrying out of the cold howling winds.

"Hi! Good morning!" I call out to the small group of interns gathered in the lobby, and at least one of them turns around, relief etched over his features when he spots me.

"First day jitters?" I ask, moving to lightly kiss Luke's cheek.

Lucas Christopher Garrett is a younger replica of his dad; a tall, lean frame with defined muscle. Reserved eyes and an unassuming smile peek out under thick, dark brown hair that Luke wears in a soft side part.

Dressed in sleek dark pants and a crisp button-down, Luke would appear to the average person a put-together, mild-mannered guy. But I saw him fidgeting with the sleeve of his shirt, and the nervous edge to his handsome smile.

I won't be seeing him much at all his one or two days a week that he's here, but made sure he knew whatever he needed, I could be on it. He squints one eye, leaning closer, and mouths his answer. Maybe.

"Well, you look great. It's gonna be fun, I swear," I say, slipping my arms from my jacket, then run fingers through my hair, trying to tame the static cling. Sighing with a smile, I fold it over my arm and turn to the rest of the group. "Hi, guys! I'm Sierra Garrett. Welcome to the Lansing Center. I already know this guy; he's my brother-in-law."

"Ouch," Luke startles and winces as I touch his arm and the electricity zaps him. "Well, I'm awake now."

Thankfully, this breaks a bit of the ice, and I turn to the group as we laugh. "What are your names?"

After a few minutes of chatting, I turn to Luke as I ready to head to my office. "If you don't make lunch plans, let me know. I have lunch with Brian a couple of times per month, and today's one of 'em."

"I'll text you?" he asks, tilting his head.

"Yes, I'm going to stop mothering you. See you."

"Sierra?" George, the man who runs the front desk in our office pauses me. "This was delivered late yesterday for you."

"Oh!" I grin at him, accepting the small plant, and scoop up a small box from a nearby bakery. "Thank you."

After I get settled in mine and Colton's office, I glance at the card. Wish I could be there to see your face when you get these. Your smile makes my day.

"Aww," I murmur, reaching for the pink box. "Hey, Colt, want a pastry?"

********************

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry." Brian's breathless voice cuts through the boisterous restaurant as he dashes through the tables.

The coat I bought him last year for his birthday still fits perfectly, and he yanked a beanie and scarf on before skating out the door for his lunch break.