24. Neck romancing. - Sierra

I lightly growl and rub my neck, turning away from my best friend holding court at the bar in my condominium

I lightly growl and rub my neck, turning away from my best friend holding court at the bar in my condominium. "Cancel them, Natalia."

Legs crossed at the knee, she swirls wine in the stemless glass and rolls her eyes. Nat has beautiful eyes; deep brown, and full of mischief and love all at once. Anybody could get lost in those eyes. I've said it before, and I will again: Natalia could sell fire to the devil. "Sierra! I already paid."

"No strippers. I'll pay you back immediately. Plus, Ariella is going to be here."

"She's seventeen!"

I put my hands on my hips. "Exactly! She's a minor!"

"Fine," she grumbles.

My feet skim along the vinyl flooring that flows from the living room to the kitchen, and I yank the handle of the refrigerator to pull out a can of Diet Coke. "You just wanted TikTok views anyway," I say with a shrug, the can popping open as I tug the tab.

With a knowing glint in her eyes, Nat fights the smile curling at the corners of her mouth and denies my claim. We both know there's some truth to it.

A deep voice sounds from the doorway near the bedrooms, and I swivel my head to find Nick, shaking his head, grinning. "You'd better respect her wishes. And if you corrupt my little sister, I'm coming for you." His thick biceps flex as he grips the top of the archway then rubs a hand over his chest as he enters the room.

"Hi!" She hops to her feet and crosses the room as Nick steps forward, opening those strong arms to embrace her.

Holding her shoulders, he flickers his eyes over her face. "Hey, you. You doing okay?" She nods and hugs him around the waist again. They walk toward me while loosely draping arms around one another.

"How's Mateo?" Her voice is softer than a feather and unsure, her gaze at the ground.

"He's okay, honey." Nick squeezes her to his side. "I'm sure he'll be happy to see you at the wedding."

She nods, a grim smile on her lips. Sighing with gusto, she pulls her phone out with a flourish, muttering under her breath about canceling strippers while I chuckle. "You're such a drama queen! But I promise when you get married, you can have two."

She sticks out her tongue at me and laughs, thumbs flying over her phone screen, and exaggerates falling over as Nick gently shoves her shoulder.

"Hit up a strip club on your time." I fold my arms and wait until she meets my gaze. "You know, with your new boyfriend." She huffs a breath, sticking her tongue in her cheek as I continue. "Cougar."

A wide smile stretches over her face, and she focuses on her phone again. "No clue what you're talking about."

"Oh, really? Are you, or are you not, currently avoiding Brian's questions about his brother?"