6. Hear me out. - Nick

Cool air from the fan I constantly blast breezes across the back of my neck while I tip my head to the ceiling, heaving another sigh like a petulant child

Cool air from the fan I constantly blast breezes across the back of my neck while I tip my head to the ceiling, heaving another sigh like a petulant child. Twenty-three years old today. It's the last Thursday of July; a few months after graduation, a couple of months before the wedding. I have barely seen Sierra for weeks and we even sleep in the same bed.

Weekday routines have her hitting the gym and into work before I'm out of bed, and me working into the evening. As the newest advisor on staff, I'm the one doing after-dinner meetings and taking big name meetings alongside my dad.

Weekends involve Sierra working on the events she plans during the week, stealing moments together, and trying to appease those planning the wedding. And we still haven't adopted a cat.

This weekend, we are set to celebrate at my favorite campus bar Foxhole, but on my birthday, I woke up half-expecting something other than our routine. Maybe some extra-sweet, extra-long morning kisses. Instead, I spotted a birthday card on her pillow with a note that she would text and bring me lunch.

For the tenth time, I glance at my phone, thinking I heard a notification for an incoming message. Nada.

My dad's tall frame appears in the open doorway. "Morning, bub."

I need to quit sulking, and I rise to greet him as he comes around my desk. "Good morning."

"Came to wish you a happy birthday," he says, opening his arms for a hug. His dark tousled hair waves back from his face, eyes happily creasing as he beams at his firstborn.

Confident and reserved, my dad towers over most with his shoulders back and looks people in the eye, but never looks cocky. He's a smart businessman—quick to listen, and avoids rash decisions. Despite being well-respected among his peers and employees, I've seen arrogant men waver under his strong grip and deep, authoritative voice. If only they knew about his digital Marvel comic book subscription, or how he's putty in the hands of my mom, sister, and Sierra.

"Thanks, Dad."

"Same age as when I had you," he murmurs, winking with his right eye. See? Marshmallow. He cuffs my shoulders. "You okay?"

I glance at my phone screen lighting up on my desk, hoping it's my girl and not another free birthday dessert text from Chili's. Damn, they draw you in with those free chips and salsa!

"Yes, just got lousy sleep last night."

"Caffeinate, because we have a lunch meeting at 11:30."

"We do?" I ask, my smile faltering.

He nods. "Yeah, Illitch."

Fuck! Illitch? They're a big deal.

He clears his throat, folding his burly arms over his chest. "Why, something wrong?"

"Sierra was going to bring me lunch." Frowning, he tsks as I nod and reach for my phone. "Yeah, okay—I will speak to her."

My dad disappears into the hallway amid the chaotic mid-morning rush while I amble to the window and send her a voice message. "Hi, Sunshine, my dad just sprung it on me that I have a lunch meeting at 11:30. Would you be willing to meet me in the afternoon? Love you so much."

About an hour later, I hear my phone buzz with a notification as I saunter down the hall for caffeine. A few of the younger guys I work with greet me as I enter, continuing to chatter about basketball as I slip my phone from my pocket and say good morning.

📱 SUNSHINE
Hello there, sexy. Still in a meeting. What does the message say?

📱 NICK
That my parents are ruining my life, and I have to go to a lunch meeting at 11:30 instead of seeing your beautiful face. Do you have sunshine time for me later?

SUNSHINE
Aw nuts! And of course I do, my birthday boy. Text me later what time you want me to show up. Love you so much. 😘

NICK
Thank you for always being so understanding and sweet. You deserve way more attention than you are getting.

SUNSHINE
If you come home early enough tonight, I'll give you some attention, birthday boy. 🍑 😓

NICK
Like you'll rub my back and bring me beer attention? Or...

SUNSHINE
Like...why aren't we home already? I'm turned on in this meeting thinking about tonight 👅

NICK
Mmm. I wish you weren't in a meeting. I want a selfie of your cute face.

SUNSHINE
Took this last week, and have been meaning to send it. Happy birthday, Nicholas.

All I wanted was a cute, wholesome selfie. Not my pretty girl posed on our bed in my threadbare T-shirt hiked up so I can see the shape of her round ass underneath black lace.

Amir wipes the coffee streaming down his neck from when I spit it out in shock. "Ugh. Thank you for that."

Preston is looking over my shoulder, and grabs at my phone. "Whoa! I can see why that happened."

I shove Pres' shoulder and pocket my phone while turning to Amir. "I'm so sorry, dude. I have another shirt in my office."

He laughs. "I'll survive. I do, too. What happened?"

"Somebody sent Garrett fucking hot photos. Who is she?"

Covering my mouth, I shake my head, then reach for my mug as two of the support staff enter the room. Preston's chest puffs out, a cocky grin on his face as I shoot him a warning look. "Hey, Ashlee, can you make sure Nick's office gets more tissues?"

I smack him lightly up the back of the head as I exit while everybody laughs. Preston and I have known each other since we were kids; his mom Meredith works here, and I dated one of his sisters for a hot second in high school.

I hurry back upstairs, eager to close the door in my office and text Sierra a hearty thank you. Pulling up the photo again, I suck in a breath while appreciating the curves of my fiancée's nearly nude body. "Nick?"

Drenched in an icy bucket of discomfort, I rub my hand over my face. I place my phone facedown and clear my throat. "Hi, Mom. I'm here."

The door creaks open, her chestnut brown ponytail peeking through the crack. Her smile grows as I wave her in with a good morning. "Happy birthday, honey," she says, coming to kiss my head.

"Thank you!"

I smile up at her as she tousles my hair. Very rarely has my mom been anything short of caring and encouraging. Endlessly patient. Nobody in the world has a better mom than we do—both of our parents are amazing people.

"Any plans for your birthday?"

Mmhmm. My fiancée. All of the sex. Please. I miss the regular sex we had in college.

"We are going to meet some friends on campus this weekend to celebrate."

Her smile is knowing, and I'm curious why, praying nobody said anything to her about what happened downstairs. "See you in twenty minutes, sweetie."

My phone beeps with a text, and I expect another message from Sierra, but instead find a Pena.

📱 CHRIS PENA
Hey man, so Josh and I had an idea about this weekend about how to irritate B. It's going to sound weird, but you'll have to hear me out.

 It's going to sound weird, but you'll have to hear me out

1) what's Chris' suggestion? 😈