52. Something's up. - Sierra

After a working vacation for my husband—and pure heaven for me—we packed our things from the Airbnb we rented for over a month, and Nick, the dog, and I headed home

It's been six weeks since I've seen any of my friends in person, and I couldn't be more thrilled to arrive home for good to find some of my favorite people filling the couches and leaning against the countertops of our kitchen.

"Surprise!" Nat says, rushing forward with open arms.

Nick joins our hug, asking me quietly if it's okay that everybody's here. I smile and nod because it so is.

"I missed you so much," I tell Natalia, my voice tight with emotion.

"I missed you. God, I have so much to tell you."

Each person I embrace brings more healing and peace into my heart. This is the part I was missing while we were away. Plus Moira. I need my kitty cat back, too. "I sincerely didn't mind taking care of your cat," Lizzie says while she continues holding on, "but I'm really glad you're back."

Her tiny, thin frame folds easily into mine. I know I'm nostalgic, but she's the only person I haven't hugged, and I don't want to let go yet. "Yeah," I say with a sniffle. I finally pull back after a long moment and wipe my eyes. "Hey, is B not coming?"

She frowns a tad. "Um, I think he's working."

I squint. "What?"

"What, what?"

Sizing her up, I purse my lips. "You're hiding something. Plus, it's Saturday."

"Zane!" With a guilty smile aimed at me, she calls his name while stepping back.

He lowers his beer bottle from his lips and nods up while approaching. "What's up?"

"Your girlfriend is a terrible liar. Where's Bri?"

Zane tilts his head, studying my expression. "I think he had a doctor's appointment."

"Is he okay?" My heart sinks, fearing the worst. I already missed his birthday last month, and the guilt quadruples inside me. B would wait until I got home to break any bad news in person.

Z is all smiles as he grasps my shoulder. "Yeah, he's okay. I'm sure he's dying to see you, too."

"Oh, babe." Nick waves once from his spot in the kitchen and leans over the counter. "We're going to the family tailgate tomorrow, remember? I'll bet he and Lauren will be there."

"Ohhh, okay. Cool!" I bounce on the balls of my feet. Nick's family has a long-standing tradition to tailgate at least once per year all together before one of the Michigan State University football games.

I think it's when they play the biggest rival, but I couldn't really be bothered to remember all the details. All I heard was soaking up time in the Garrett Bubble at the college where Luke and Mike attend and gave my RSVP on the spot.