13. That was my fault. - Sierra

My fist connects with his body, and the energy surging through me is incredible

My fist connects with his body, and the energy surging through me is incredible. These days, I feel so much freer and happier. I smack him harder as he eggs me on, switching to a combo. Jab, jab, hook. Jab, jab, hook.

"Add a duck!"

After the hook, I squat low just as his hand swipes through the air over my head. I square up and let my fists fly in the rhythm for twenty seconds.

"Come on, baby, go, go," Brian urges.

Jab, jab, hook, duck. B's hand sails through the open air over my head before he quacks, and I burst into laughter. "Such a dork, B."

"Time!"

Collective groans reverberate throughout the space, people sighing and slumping to the ground in mock exhaustion.

Breathing hard, I step back, giggling as his grin grows and he folds me into a sweaty hug. Velcro gloves ripping apart echo throughout the studio as the class breaks apart.

I reach down and snag his bottle, and he catches it with ease. "Fucking awesome job today, SiSi! How's it feel to be back?"

I slide my forearm over my forehead and poke B on the hard wall that is his stomach. "Amazing. Are you ready to hit me?"

"Hell yeah."

Cool water eases my dry throat as I gulp it down, my water bottle crinkling. I catch a couple of girls eyeing him as he lifts his shirt to wipe his face, revealing his six-pack.

B shoves his hands into gloves as the music cranks up overhead and rolls his shoulders back. I jerk my water bottle toward him, water droplets misting his face. "Ready, guapo?"

******************

After a quick soap down in the studio showers, I meet Brian outside to grab coffee before heading home. It's the Saturday after we went camping, and we couldn't find a single night this week to hang out just the two of us.

I frown at the can of dry shampoo while shaking vigorously. "Shoot, I'm almost out," I complain, blasting my hairline with the cool powder before tossing it back into my car, then slam the door shut.

When I whirl to face B, he winks and slides his sunglasses on, then loops an arm around my shoulders. "Let's go."

We walk at a snail's pace along the sidewalk toward the cafe fifty yards away. Traffic zooms past, bass thumping from vehicles filling gaps in our comfortable silence.

"Are you doing okay?" I ask, winding my arm around his waist.

"Yeah. We needed a break, but it might not have come if she didn't piss me off by saying that shit to you."