9. Camping? - Sierra

Summer sunsets in Michigan could make anybody want to pause

Summer sunsets in Michigan could make anybody want to pause. That one friend that's always soooo busy would even take a break for a few minutes to watch the brilliant streaks of coral and flamingo pink seep toward the foaming waves.

A group of men stand at the peak of one of the steep gargantuan hills at Sleeping Bear Dunes as the sky fades into dusk. Sweat covers us like a thick blanket as we continue to trek through the soft sand, our feet slipping through the warm surface every few yards.

Mateo points at Natalia, flashing his brilliant white smile. "Move those quads, Princess!"

People zip past us on their way back down; kids cartwheeling, adults grumbling under their breath about the humidity. Climbing sand is a challenge, and Natalia and I aren't exactly avid hikers. I peek over at Lauren on Nat's other side, and she catches my eye with her tentative smile.

"I swear," Nat mutters to me. "That boy pushes my buttons sometimes."

"No kidding," I say dryly. Lauren giggles, elbowing Nat lightly. Where Natalia is gasoline, Mateo is a flicking Zippo lighter poised to light her up.

Today is my first experience with the famous dunes. Never really been anywhere before, but I live mere hours from here, so everybody is amused to hear it.

When Nicholas informed me he and Mateo planned to organize a camping trip a couple of months ago, I wrinkled my nose. Camping? Me? But he laughed and promised he would make it fun.

While Nat and Lauren complained about the hike up the hill, I stayed motivated by openly staring at my man's ass in black basketball shorts twenty feet ahead. Nick removes his baseball cap and rakes his fingers through his thick chestnut hair, and my eyes zero in on his flexing biceps. I love trailing my hands on those arms.

He wipes his brow with his forearm before slipping on his dark sunglasses, cracking up at something Brian says. What a hot, hot mess.

"Well, at least you look good," I offer to Nat, knowing it may placate her. Her long graceful legs are on display in distressed shorts, and the deep tangerine-colored tank top with the words TRYNA HIKE offsets her dark, gleaming skin.

She flips one of her braids back, smirking wryly. "Yup!" Nat blows out a hefty sigh and shoves her finger at the bridge of her rose-colored sunglasses. "But I'm over this goddamn heat."

Another silent hiker flanks on Lauren's other side, and I maneuver my head around to see her around the other two. "Taylor, are you and Max dating?"

She grins over at me before glancing up at our guys. "Yeah. Isn't he cute?"

I don't know Taylor or Max, or half a dozen others with us, but I want to have a nice weekend. "He is! And a nice guy."

As Mateo eggs Nat on, Nicholas and Brian pivot to face us. B shakes his head, locking eyes with me, and presses his mouth into a line while trying to hold in his laughter. We four are the last to reach the group of a dozen others. Nick points at me before raising his arms in triumph. "That's my fiancée!"