34. Flatter me more. - Sierra

"Hi, kids

"Hi, kids. We were told it was time for the—" The DJ cuts Jim off, and he points up toward him while he announces that it's time for the parents' dance.

"That's our cue, Mom."

I swallow hard, rooted to the spot at the idea of this dance as Nick and Caroline whirl away.

At a dozen weddings, my heart ached as I watched the gorgeous bride dance with her emotional father, and I wondered what it would be like to be in that position. With parents that loved you like that.

As the song drifts overhead, I get my answer.

Bowing deeply, Jim offers his hand, and I press mine to my mouth, grinning. "Care to dance with me, Bug?"

My face crumbles as a shudder runs through me, and Jim fondly smiles, taking my hands in his before positioning us to lead me in a dance. "Are you sad about your dad, honey?"

His face blurs as I tip my head back to look at him. Jim always seems like he's ten feet tall to me. "I don't know," I whisper. "Should I be?"

"I don't know," he says with a shrug. "From what I've heard, you deserved a hundred times better, so I don't think I'd miss feeling like that."

He's right. I don't miss feeling like I have to prove myself to people who are disinterested in...well, me. When he speaks again, his voice is like a warm hug. "But you know what, Sierra?"

A tear rolls down my cheek, and I press my lips together and close my eyes as he continues. "You're an incredible person, and I'm proud to be your dad. And if you ever need anything, ever, you—"

I prop my forehead onto his chest, freely weeping, clinging to his words. "Sweetheart," he murmurs, fishing out his pocket square. The silky fabric glides against the raw skin in the corners of my eyes as I dab there. Jim's voice is a whisper. "And if you ever need anything," he repeats, "You got me."

His soulful eyes are on mine as I look up, sniffling. The scent of his Old Spice, his warm arms snug around me like a promise he would always be around; I never want to forget this memory. "I'm proud you're my dad, too, Jim."

He stuffs the makeshift handkerchief away, then spins me in a small circle. "Listen, let's make a bet." I nod, smiling and waiting. "I know my wife, and I'll bet you twenty bucks she asks you before the night ends when you're having kids."

"Stop!" My heart feels a thousand times lighter as I throw my head back, cracking up. "Deal, though." The song winds down, and I wrap my arms around his waist and squeeze. "Love you."

He lays a soft kiss on the top of my head. "Love you, too."

I catch a glimpse of my husband, grinning away as he talks to his loving mom. This is what it should be like. Parents who think you're worth their time and want to hear what you have to say. They're proud of who you've grown into and want to make memories with you. Not leaving you guessing if you're unlovable. A burden.