38. Can I pet your dog? - Nick

"I'll miss you," Sierra whispers, sliding her palm down my jaw

"I'll miss you," Sierra whispers, sliding her palm down my jaw. "You don't have to wake up, but I have to go."

"Mmm." Half-asleep, I stretch and groan, my face pressed into the soft pillow. Her fingers stroke a gentle rhythm on my scalp, and I peek one eye open to see her.

"I'll be home in the early afternoon."

"Cancel work."

"Sure, no problem."

"Really?"

"No, I love you, bye."

I chuckle, and she shoots me a look over her shoulder with a big smile.

"Hey! Wait!"

The cat scampers after me as I chase Sierra toward the front door. It's early November, and SiSi is going to meet a bride for an early Saturday morning meeting, and a plan I've kicked around for weeks clicks into place as she readies to leave.

My wife parks herself on a bench by the door and tugs her tall boots on, snagging her heels for the first meeting and something stirs inside me as I quietly observe. Oh, how I love those boots.

"Kiss?" Sierra approaches, lips puckered for a kiss goodbye.

"One more," I implore after she steps back, pulling her back in to hungrily press my lips to hers again. "You look beautiful."

Her lips curve up like she's surprised and sheepish that I think she's the most beautiful girl in the world. "Thank you, Nick, I love you."

I scoop up the cat and wave her paw like she's saying goodbye. "We love you. See you when you get back."

The door clicks shut, and I gently put Moira on the ground. "You gotta be cool when I get back, okay?"

When I return from the bedroom, now fully clothed and cleaned up, I find Moira still waiting. With her cute, big eyes trained on me, she plops her butt on the floor and stares. "Nothing to say? But you'll yowl at three am for no good reason." I crouch down to grab my shoes and she headbutts my knee. "Okay, cutie," I say, scratching her chin. "See you shortly."

As I trek downstairs, I keep the Find My Friends app open to ensure SiSi doesn't double back if she forgot something. I suppose I'll just say I ran out for something we didn't have at home. My reflection in the rearview mirror grins back as I start my vehicle. I can't wait to surprise her.

***************

Dampness and the smell of kibble hang in the air as I stroll with the man who greeted me at the front. I let my fingers drag on a cage and praise myself for the good sense not to bring Sierra. We would end up with a dozen dogs if she was here.

"Can you help me find one that has been here for a bit but seems to be sweet? My wife would love a snuggler."

He thinks for a moment, then nods and snaps his fingers. "I think I've got a good one!"