10. Ring bearer? - Sierra

My shirt is barely off when I hear the tent unzip, and I swivel my head to find Nick's concerned eyes

My shirt is barely off when I hear the tent unzip, and I swivel my head to find Nick's concerned eyes. "Hi, baby, are you okay?"

While he zips the tent closed, I grab a sweatshirt and turn to face him. "Yeah, of course," I say, my voice muffled as I pull the shirt over my head.

He palms the side of my face, running his thumb over my bottom lip, and his voice holds worry. "When you slipped away, I was worried I embarrassed you."

I wrap my arms around his shoulders and kiss his cheek. "Nope. I just wanted to change into something warmer."

"Good, because I can't afford to make you anything less than happy."

His eyebrows knit together, and I gather he's unconvinced by my pasted-on smile, and I try to lighten the tension. "Maybe we can take a walk on the beach after dinner?"

Nick nods, smiling and cupping my face. "So, I was going to ask him, but did you want to be there when I do it?"

Nerves bubble in my stomach. "I do."

He interlaces his fingers into mine, letting out a small, short laugh as he brings them up between us.

"What?"

"My heart just jumped a hundred feet when you said that."

His blue eyes glint with vulnerability, and I wind my arms around his neck, meeting him for a sweet kiss. "Eight weeks to go—and I can't wait, Nick!"

"Let's go check something off our to-do list."

"What if he says no?" I whisper, rooted to the spot.

"He won't. But if he hypothetically did, I'll still marry you."

Nicholas slips his hands underneath my heathered gray and blue baseball t-shirt, grazing cool fingertips against the warm skin of my lower back. He sighs in happiness, running his lips up my jaw. I smile up at him, the blue nylon of our tent casting an amusing violet glow onto his handsome tawny face.

Dusk has fallen, our campsite lit up by moonlight, strings lights, and lanterns. Citronella candles were lit to avert bugs; the scent hanging heavily in the air outside our tent. Our brightly colored tents are arranged in a half-circle around the campsite, ours smack dab in the middle of them all.

Nick gestures to the thick air mattress on the ground. We set up the tent earlier today, laughing until our stomachs hurt at our floundering grace. "We should be comfortable tonight, don't you think?"

"Umm, I don't know, let's see." I sit and stretch out my legs, bracing my palms on the bed before nabbing my pillow. The buttery soft blanket and pillows we brought to share smell like home. I nod my approval and hug the pillow. "Very comfortable, so long as my guy is here, too."