THE RESIGNATION LETTER

SOPHIA'S POV

I could barely sleep last night. Even though, Calvin and Emma tried their best to calm me down and assure me that there was nothing to worry about, I had a feeling that something really really bad was going to happen.

I rolled out of my bed and it wasn't even morning yet. I just couldn't make myself fall asleep. I was thinking only about yesterday's events. So I decided to distract myself and go to work early today. I picked out a black skirt suit and paired it with a cream blouse and black ankle strap heels. I took a long hot shower to relax myself and got ready. I neatly combed my hair in a high ponytail. I slid out of my room after collecting my phone and purse.

Emma was still asleep and I wasn't very hungry after the double dinner last night so I left for work.

It was still early with the sun peeking over the horizon and the air was cool and soothing so I decided to walk the distance. I entered the almost empty building of Smith & Co and made my way to the elevator. The floor of my office was quite peaceful as compared to other times. I could see a bunch of people working in their office, they must've an early morning meeting. I also went to my desk and placed my things on it.

Then I went to the cafeteria and all those thoughts came back. I shoved them to the back of my mind and started a fresh pot of coffee. I filled a cup and went back to my desk.

I took a look at Calvin's schedule for today and sighed. It was going to be a long day. He had back to back meetings which I would have to attend with him and take notes. I left him voice messages informing him of his schedule. Then, I completed all the paperwork needed for those meetings and assembled them neatly in a folder and placed it on Calvin's desk for him to review it when he comes in.

When I went out of his office, I saw people pouring in. Calvin would arrive soon. The thought left me a bit unnerved but I didn't pay attention to it. 

I went back to my desk and a sticky note caught my attention. When I read it, all colour drained from my face and I let out a shaky breath. I held the desk to stable myself. The note read 'Mr. Smith's Slut'. I went outside my office to see who did this disgusting thing. But there was no one to be seen. Everyone was busy with their own work.

I was on the verge of crying and I didn't wanna face Calvin right now. He could be here any minute now. So I quickly made my way to the washroom and hid there. I was tightly clutching that note in my hand and sobbing quietly so that no one would hear me.

I didn't know what to do now. The snarky comment must be written by Alex. He must've suspected that I was involved with Calvin when he punched him. I knew it was a bad move. I hope he hasn't told anyone else. I won't be able to face people then.

So I decided that I'll talk to Alex and apologize for Calvin's behaviour and explain him the whole situation. I hope he understands it and doesn't tell this to anyone. I'll also tell Calvin to apologize to him, if need be. Afterall we're in this mess because of him.

I was really anxious and angry to face Calvin so I waited till he left for his meetings. He would be gone for a while and till then I can try to make things right.

I exited the restroom and made sure Calvin had left. Then I went to the cubicles where I thought Alex might be. My co-workers were giving me weird glances and were talking in hushed tones. This could only mean one thing. They were talking about me and Calvin. They knew.

Oh my God. The whole office knows. What will I do now?

I rushed back to my office and leaned against the closed door. I breathed heavily. My worst nightmare has come true. This is what I feared the most and it's true now. I can't stay here. I can't work for Calvin anymore. I can't stay here for another minute.

I quickly packed all my things in a box while my eyes were filled with tears. I don't know what will happen with me and Calvin now? We have a good thing going and I hope we can work it through. But I wasn't sure it would be possible now.

I typed out a letter on my laptop and printed it. I signed on it and put it in an envelope with RESIGNATION written on it. I kept it on Calvin's desk and looked at his office one last time. I had to leave the office before he comes back because he will make leaving difficult. I didn't know what I was leaving- the job, Calvin or maybe both. I collected my things and said a silent goodbye to this wonderful job. I loved working here.

I went down the elevator and exited the building. I hailed a taxi and went home. I wasn't crying anymore but I was really sad. I didn't have a job now and I didn't know if I had a boyfriend or not. All this thinking was overwhelming and I started crying again when I reached my apartment. Thankfully, it was empty. I didn't wanna talk to anyone right now. I just wanted to be alone. I opened a bottle of wine and drowned my sorrows in it. I had a few messages from Calvin asking about my whereabouts and few calls came after he was finished with his meetings but I didn't reply to any of them. He would now be in his office and will see my letter sometime soon. I don't know how will he react. I don't know if I'll ever see him or not.

I curled into a ball and wept all day and then went to sleep. I was exhausted from all the crying.

Emma came back after a while and consoled me when she saw my puffy red eyes. I was glad that she didn't ask any questions but she must have guessed that it was about Calvin. She also knew that I was jobless looking at the box filled with my office things.

God, I'm a mess.

What do you guys think about this chapter? Lemme know in the comments below. Also I would love if you could follow the book and share it with your friends and family. Keep reading ❤️.