Chapter 11

"Is this really from her?" Irin asked, her excitement evident as she spotted the mark on my neck. "Oh my god, Rebecca, you're going to be famous soon, now that Freen's become your sugar mommy!" Irin exclaimed.

"Could you please stop? Freen did this for training, not personal gain. Don't think of it that way," I scolded her.

"Oh, now you're taking Freen's side? Whenever I find your fling annoying, you'd ghost them and be on my side. What's changed?" Irin asked, cupping my cheeks.

"Enough," I said, removing her hands and turning on the television to drown out her chatter.

As soon as the TV came to life, my name appeared in the news. It was a controversy involving Nat, one of the famous actors in my company, caught kissing a girl in the hallway of his condo building. To my disbelief, I was one of the people they suspected as the girl in the video.

"But weren't you with Freen all day today?" Irin asked, her eyes locked on mine.

I checked my phone, finding a barrage of hateful messages accusing me of stealing Nat away when I hadn't even met him, despite being under the same company.

The company seemed to prioritize Nat, showering him with money and projects, leaving little for the rising stars. I hadn't had a chance to introduce myself since he was often out of the country when I visited the company. In essence, I only knew him by name.

"Why am I the one getting all the hate? They're cheering for Nat, but not me. I'm shouldering all the blame," I whispered, my heart pounding.

The trolls' words pierced my heart repeatedly. Their messages, emojis, and private messages brought tears to my eyes.

"I don't even know him personally. Why am I dragged into this?" I asked in disbelief.

Irin hugged me tightly. "You need to talk to your company, Becky. You should terminate your contract. They're using you to divert attention. Non has been the top actor lately, and they want to replace him."

"They're using me to boost Nat's career? They know I'm Non's new partner, so they want me to pull Non down too?" I asked, scoffing. "This is unbelievable."

"Becky, you have to talk to them and tell the truth. You and Nat are complete strangers," Irin advised, caressing my back. "Everything will work out in the end."

I nodded, trying to hold back my tears. Then my phone buzzed, and it was my company's CEO.

"Becky, cancel your shoot tomorrow. The fans want your statement, and I want you to confess everything," the CEO said, asserting his authority.

"Confess what? I'm not that girl in the video. I don't know who she is, and why should I admit to something I didn't do?" I protested.

"If you want to salvage your career, admit it. Otherwise, your projects and your career will be terminated. Remember, I still have control over your future in this industry," the CEO threatened before hanging up, causing my tears to flow.

"What did he say?" Irin asked, concern in her voice.

"He told me to confess," I replied. "Why are they doing this to me? They want me to take the blame and save his reputation. What did I do wrong?" I asked, covering my face as I wept.

"You joined the wrong company, that's what you did wrong," Irin said with a sigh as she continued to comfort me. "Let's get some rest; you'll need all the strength you can get for tomorrow's press conference."