Chapter 30

"I don't think this is love, Becca," Cazi mentioned as we lay on the grass in her backyard, gazing at the stars.

I was taken aback by her sudden mention of love. "Then what is this?" I asked.

Cazi chuckled softly without looking at me. "You cherish the idea that someone cares for you, someone who will be there in times of need, someone who supports you. But, Becca, you don't love me romantically. You see me as a sister."

"Is it because I've never been in a serious relationship before?" I inquired, gazing at her.

Cazi met my gaze with a knowing look. "I say this because I want you to find true love, someone you want to spend a lifetime with, and I'm certain I'm not that person," Cazi said gently, tousling my hair. "I want to set you free."

I sat up abruptly as those words sank in. "What?"

Cazi sighed and joined me, caressing my cheek and planting a kiss on my forehead. We had known each other for a long time, having been high school sweethearts. We were just starting again, but she was already ending it.

"Trust me, I love you. But you don't love me, Becca," Cazi said, her eyes glistening with tears. "And I can't continue to pretend, especially when I know you're trying to force yourself to love me."

"What are you hiding?" I asked, my confusion growing.

"I'm married."

Tears welled up in my eyes at her admission. I couldn't understand why it hurt. If I didn't love her, why did it sting? Was it because I realized I could never be with her again?

"Since when?" I managed to ask.

"I got married a week before you came back to my life. It was an arranged marriage. I didn't accept it earlier because I was still searching for you, just as I promised before I left. But I thought you might have moved on, considering your personality and looks. You're quite the catch, Becca," Cazi explained. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."

"Why?" I questioned, my voice trembling. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"I missed you, and I didn't want you to disappear from my life again. I wanted to be selfish for a moment. I tried to find a way to divorce my husband, but I couldn't," she explained as her tears flowed.

"I'll just pretend this never happened," I said, my voice strained. "I can't accept being your second choice."

Before Cazi left that morning, she left a contract and a note explaining that she was leaving for my sake, to give me a chance to move on, and that she was sorry for everything.

A year later, I found it in my heart to forgive her. She had mustered the courage to tell me the truth, confessing everything before I discovered it on my own. It was a far cry from my experience with Freen.

"Becky, please," Freen implored, locking the restroom door and grabbing my arms. "Listen to me."

"Listen to what?" I yelled at her. "Why didn't you tell me you were married before you took my innocence? Why didn't you come clean when I was confused about your commitment? Why did you play with my feelings, Freen? Why did you keep sleeping with me when you had a husband?" I unleashed a barrage of questions, my tears flowing freely.

"It wasn't my intention—"

"Intention?" I scoffed. "You slept with me repeatedly, Freen! You possessed me and told me not to be with anyone else while you had a husband who could be with you every night!" I continued, not caring about the surroundings, as people avoided the restroom area.

"Saint and I haven't been intimate since we got married," Freen began. "I haven't been with him because he knows me. He knows my true self, my identity, everything about me."

"Don't toy with me anymore, Freen. I won't believe you," I declared, ready to leave, but Freen held onto my arms and embraced me tightly.

"I've never been with anyone else the way I've been with you, Becky. Please, trust me on this," Freen explained.

"Then why don't you leave him?" I questioned. "You claim to love him, but your body doesn't?"

Freen let go of me and hung her head. "Saint has been my best friend since childhood. I grew up with him, and he understands me better than anyone. I dated and married him, but I realized I didn't love him romantically. However, I can't bring myself to let him go," Freen admitted.

"Then let me go. I never wanted to be a mistress," I replied, twisting the knob, but she stopped me.

"What do you need from me to stay?" Freen asked.

Her question caught me off guard. I turned to her and stood upright.

"Leave him for me."

a/n: This is what I meant when I said "4 chapters". Don't worry, I won't end this soon. I hope you won't get tired of waiting for my updates.