Chapter 67

"Aunt Wifeeey!" Saif came running towards me the moment I entered their house.

Freen was sitting on the couch, her face turning red when Saif called me 'wifey.'

"Wifey? Where did you get that?" I asked as I scooped him into my arms.

"I saw your name on my mommy's phone. It says 'wifey,'" Saif pouted, playing with his fingers.

I turned to Freen, and she averted her gaze in embarrassment. I chuckled and gently kissed Saif's cheeks.

"Are your clothes ready?" I asked him, and he nodded cheerfully. "Good. Go and get them; I'll chat with your mommy for a while. Is that okay?"

"Yep," Saif said, rushing off to his bedroom.

"His nanny's in his room preparing his things. You're early," Freen mentioned, attempting to change the subject.

"Yes, I didn't want my 'wifey' to wait for me," I giggled, reclining on the couch with Freen's lap as my pillow. "I'm tired," I closed my eyes and felt Freen's fingers gently caressing my hair.

"Don't you want to stay here for a while? My house is closer to the company; it would save you time driving," Freen suggested, prompting me to open my right eye.

"As much as I'd love to, I can't. What would people say?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Why do you always worry about what others think?" Freen asked, pressing her lips to my forehead. "I don't care what they say."

"You have a husband and son, Freen. Do you think people won't judge us if they find out we're living under the same roof?" I asked.

Freen sighed and nodded. "You have a point. Fine, then I'll be the one who stays at your place, just like before," she said, smiling at me.

"What about Saif?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Saif wants to stay with you, even if you don't ask. I think if you ask him where he'd prefer to sleep, he'd choose to sleep in your arms," Freen said, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms, which made me chuckle.

I cupped the back of her neck and gently kissed her. She glared at me, so I kissed her again.

"Do you think you can soften me up with those kisses?" she asked.

I giggled and sat up, but I noticed Saif running towards us. I stood up and waited for him, and he hugged me once more when he reached us. I lifted him in my arms.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked, hugging him tightly.

"Aye aye, Captain!" he giggled.

"I'll 'kidnap' your son for the night. Are you sure that's okay?" I asked Freen.

She nodded, giving a thumbs-up, then stood up, kissing Saif's forehead and mine, which took me by surprise.

"Saif, take care of our 'wifey,' okay? Mommy's going to work for a while," Freen tousled her son's hair.

"Roger, Mommy!" he smiled cheerfully and waved goodbye as I carried him outside.

We waited for his nanny to bring his things, and I decided to give her a ride back home before heading to my house.

Saif was silent throughout the ride, staring at a picture hanging near my rearview mirror.

"Do you know them?" I asked him.

He slowly nodded. "That is Aunt Wifey, that is my teacher, and that is my dada." Saif pointed to each person, and the last one caught me off guard.

"Dada?" I asked.

"Dada Zee!" He looked at me. "You know them, Aunt Wifey."

"Yes, they're my best friends," I told him, but his words left me thoughtful.

"Teacher Irin was very calm and sweet. She always gave us pastries when we did well in school. Dada Zee took care of me when I was a baby, like this," he said, demonstrating how small he was. "Then, suddenly, he went away. I missed him so much."

"Is Dada Zee your daddy?" I asked.

Saif shook his head. "I just call him 'dada' because I don't have one. He let me call him that, but I'm not allowed to do it in front of Daddy Saint." He lowered his head and pouted. "Dada Zee is so kind, unlike my daddy. He's so gentle and treats me like his own."

Saif sniffled, causing me to stop the car. I went to the back seat, embraced him tightly, and held him as he sobbed.

"It's okay, baby. It's normal to miss someone," I comforted him, patting his back.

"Dada... He told me he would just buy me a candy, and then he left. But he never came back..." Saif cried again. "I can see him in my dreams, Aunt Wifey. I can see him saying goodbye to me."

Tears welled up in my eyes as Saif spoke. Now, I understood why he couldn't sleep at night; he missed Zee, and he saw him in his dreams.

I wished I could tell him about Zee, but he was too young for this. He was too young for all of this, and I didn't want to shatter his childhood because of this tragedy.

"One day, you'll understand why Dada had to leave," I said, stroking his back. "One day, you'll know the reasons, and when that day comes, I want you to be strong. Is that a deal?" I asked.

Saif slowly nodded and wiped his tears. "Please don't mention this to Mommy, Aunt Wifey. She cries when I cry, and I don't want to see her cry."

I smiled and nodded. "I promise."