Chapter 66

It's ironic how life works. Just when you think you've solved one problem, another arises. People can't rest due to the constant challenges, but that's the nature of life. If you're weak, you might struggle to find your place on this earth.

As I touched up my makeup during a photoshoot, I asked Nam, "Where are we headed after this?"

"You have an endorsement event, and tomorrow, you have a meeting regarding your upcoming series," Nam informed me. I furrowed my eyebrows in surprise.

"A new series? I thought I wouldn't take on any more projects, especially after just finishing a movie," I remarked.

"It's a girl's love series, Becky. You told me you'd do one anytime it came up," Nam sighed in disappointment.

"That was before, Nam. I didn't have any other work back then," I replied, massaging my temple and leaning back in my chair. "Is there any way to cancel it?"

"No, everything's already arranged," Nam said, handing me a folder with information about the series.

"Wait, Non? Is he part of this series?" I asked, my brows furrowing.

"Yes, he's playing the third party."

"Who's my leading lady, then?" I inquired.

"It's still unknown. The director and producer said they've contacted the other actress. You'll meet her tomorrow," Nam explained.

I handed back the papers and resumed retouching my makeup. Nam excused herself, giving me a moment to talk to Freen about the project.

In the past few days, Freen and I had trouble finding time for each other due to our busy schedules. I didn't even know if she had spoken to Saif yet, but she seemed preoccupied.

"What's up?" Freen asked when she answered the phone, her voice fatigued as if she were speaking just for me.

"Nam told me about the meeting tomorrow. You probably already know this, but this series isn't produced by our company," I informed her.

"The GL series?" Freen asked. "Yes, Nam mentioned it. What's the matter?"

"Freen, are you sure you're okay with me doing this series?" I asked, disbelief in my voice.

"There's no issue with you taking it, Becky. It'll boost your career. Why are you worried?" she responded.

"Are you sure you won't get jealous?" I asked hesitantly.

Freen chuckled on the other end and sighed. "Don't worry about me. I know what's business and what's not. Have you had lunch?"

"Yeah, I have. Will I see you tonight?" I inquired.

"No, I'm busy. But if you want, you can come to my place. Saif really misses you. If you're not busy," she said.

"I'll try. After the photoshoot, I have to attend an event. Maybe Saif can come since he doesn't have school today, right?" I asked.

"Saif is with his nanny. I'm not sure if he wants to go with you, as there will be a lot of people. Maybe after your event. Does that work for you?" Freen suggested.

"Yeah, that works. I'll see you later," I replied, hanging up the phone.

After the photoshoot, Nam and I attended the event with Non and Nu. We were endorsing the brand, which felt a bit awkward as some people were still shipping us, even though it had been five years since our last movie.

"Becky, are you free tonight?" Non asked when we were backstage.

"I have plans, why? Do I have more parties to attend?" I asked, trying to lighten the atmosphere with a chuckle.

"Nothing like that. I was just wondering if you'd join me for dinner, like old times," he suggested.

"Old times?" I thought, remembering the secrets and betrayals. But I chose not to bring it up. "Sure, I'd love to, but maybe next time."

While I continued chatting with Non, Nam mentioned that Saif and Freen's nanny would visit later. Non seemed curious, and I gave Nam a glare to make sure she didn't reveal too much.

"Saif? Freen's son, right? Are you two close?" Non inquired.

"Yes, I spoke to him at the party. I wanted to make up for not knowing what Freen did after he hugged me that night," I lied.

"Can I come too?" Non asked.

"Let's head to the club, Non. Becky needs some rest with the child," Nu suggested, pulling Non away.

Non's persistent presence was starting to bother me. I couldn't help but wonder why he couldn't sense that I didn't want him around.

"I think Non needs an honest answer from you," Nam said as Non walked away.

"What answer? He didn't ask for one," I replied with furrowed brows.

"Becky, Non still has feelings for you. Can't you see that? If you don't tell him that you're in love with someone else, he won't stop pursuing you," Nam advised, patting my shoulder.

I knew it, Nam. I've told him already, but he can't seem to accept it, I thought. I sighed and grabbed my bag.

"I have to go. Where should I pick up Saif?" I asked.

"At their house. Freen wants to see you too."

I nodded and left the mall.