Chapter 74

That was my cue to leave her behind, but my feet remained frozen on the ground. It was the moment to sever ties, yet a nagging feeling insisted there was more she hadn't told me.

"Freen!" Saint's distant voice reached us as he ran towards us, his brows furrowed. "What are you two doing here?"

"Talking," Freen replied, running her fingers through her hair. "Can you leave us for a minute?"

"No," I asserted. "I'll leave."

I walked past them, battling to hold back tears. I had expected this, but the pain was overwhelming. Why did it hurt so much? Why couldn't I brace myself for it? Why?

Tears finally fell when I entered my tent. Nam looked at me, concern etched across her forehead. She moved to comfort me, but I gestured for her not to speak or ask anything. Revealing everything might unleash a torrent of tears.

The pain inside me felt unbearable, especially with Irin absent. I had no friends to lean on; I was utterly alone.

"Are you sure you don't want me to bring you home?" Nam asked. I shook my head, busy packing my things.

"Just go home early. I'll text you when I get home. Is that fine?" I asked, my eyes tired and swollen.

"Sure," she agreed, stepping back.

I grabbed my bag, heading towards my car. But before I could enter, Freen forcefully pulled me and pushed me into her car.

People behind us yelled, reminding Freen of her pending work, but she ignored them. I wanted to go back, but my strength had abandoned me.

"Can you please let me finish? Just once, Becky," Freen pleaded as she drove.

"What do you want me to listen to? Your lies again?" I asked, looking at her. "I asked you who Saif's father is, and you said Zee. I asked you before if he was your son, and you confirmed. What am I supposed to think? That Saif was an accident? That he wasn't part of the plan?" I demanded.

"Becky, let's go home first. I can't argue with you while I'm driving," Freen said, keeping her gaze fixed ahead.

"How could you cheat on your husband and on me like that?" I whispered. "How could you do this to me while I was waiting for you all those years?"

"Stop talking, Becky. I can't focus!" Freen yelled.

"Then don't drive and tell me everything! You think I can wait?" I retorted.

The screeching tires nearly caused my head to hit the compartment if not for the seatbelt.

"Saif is Zee's son. I raised him as my own!" Freen shouted. "He is my son now, Becky. He knew that I was his mother, even though he didn't come out of my womb. Do you understand now?" she asked, catching me off guard.

Freen lowered her head, massaging her temples. I fell silent after her confession.

"Show me proof," I said.

"Fuck you!" she yelled. "I've done enough, Becky! I'm frustrated. I promised Zee that I would never tell anyone about his son. He was afraid, you know that?"

Freen drove again, faster this time, heading to her home. When we arrived, I followed her inside. She was upset, infuriated now. Why was she so defensive?

She went into her room, retrieving a box from a locked cabinet. Throwing it at me, letters, pictures, and other items scattered.

"Read all of those. Then leave," Freen demanded before storming out of the room.

My hands trembled as I picked up a letter with "Becky" on the back. It was sealed, and my heart raced when I saw Zee's handwriting.

"Hi, Becky. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not coming back. I'm sorry for leaving you and Irin. I just didn't want to drag you both into the mess I entered. I know you two can take care of yourselves now. My role as your brother ends here.

Don't worry about me. I'm happy. When I decided to let you go, it took me a month to recover. I invested in some entertainment, and while traveling, I met someone. She became my world. Just like you, she's nice and wonderful. We became a couple, and I hid everything from Saint. I lied about being sick, unable to go to work. He cared, so he let me rest. But the truth was, I was seeing my girlfriend. Until we had a child. I was afraid at first because I didn't know how to be a good father. I took care of my wife, gave her everything. However, it wasn't enough. She died when she gave birth to my son. Freen told me she would help me, so I asked her to take care of my son. In return, I'd find evidence approving her divorce with Saint.

Saif is a good boy, Becky. I hope you'll meet him. I told him everything about you. I told him about you and Irin. I wished when he grew up, he would remember me, you, and Irin." - Zee

The atmosphere grew heavy as I clutched Zee's letters. I hugged them tightly as tears streamed down my face.

Scanning the box, I found pictures of Freen with Zee, a photo of his deceased wife, and images of Saif as a baby.

"Freen?" I called her name.

"What?" she opened the door, looking at me furiously.

"I'm sorry," I said, lowering my head. "I shouldn't..."

"You've already hurt me, Becky. You didn't trust me, and all you do is doubt," she sighed. "Leave now. Saint and Saif are coming back here. Let's meet tomorrow."

"Why is he coming here?" I asked.

"They're staying here. Saint wants to be a father to Saif. I can't decline his offer. Saif is looking for a father figure," Freen explained, licking her lips. "Leave, Becky. Now that you know the truth, there's nothing left."

I swallowed hard, nodding. I had hurt her seeking proof, but she wouldn't confess willingly. Now, somehow, it was my fault?

"I'm tired too, Freen," I whispered. "You're sensitive every time I ask you. Yet, you can't tell me the truth on your own."

"What are you trying to say?" she asked.

"You're naive. You're selfish. I've had enough, Freen. I lost myself loving you so much. Asking for the truth is too much for you? If you want to conceal everything, let's go our separate ways. I don't want to be your lover anymore. I don't want this relationship. I don't want you!" I yelled and walked out.

I wouldn't beg again. I wouldn't be a second option. If she wanted to be with me, she had to prove she was worth it.