Chapter 71

Three days had passed since the haunting discovery of Irin's lifeless body in her apartment, yet the persistent ache lingered within me. Seeking solace, I had asked Nam to temporarily clear my schedule, yearning for a moment of reflection. I desired to express my emotions to Irin, even though the knowledge that she could no longer respond weighed heavily on me.

Slouched on the couch, I gazed at the floor, fingers intertwined. Sleep had eluded me for these past three days, and even simple conversations, especially with the concerned Freen, proved challenging.

"Aunt Becky!" Saif's voice broke the silence as he rushed towards me.

I furrowed my eyebrows, glancing at the door to identify his companion. Having locked it, I puzzled over how he'd reached me unaccompanied by adults.

"Are you okay?" Freen inquired, joining us as Saif settled onto my lap. Checking my temperature, she smiled sadly. "Have you eaten? I'll cook us dinner."

"Thank you," I replied, and Freen covered Saif's eyes to plant a kiss on my lips before heading to the kitchen.

"What was that? What was that?" Saif looked around, overacting as if he hadn't witnessed the interaction.

I smiled, hugging him tightly. He reciprocated, burying his face in my chest.

"Aunt Becky, I don't want you to be sad. I miss Teacher Irin, and now you're sad. I can't help but be sad too," he whispered. "Did you find the teacher when you went to her house?" Saif looked into my eyes, awaiting my response.

"No," I lied. I knew he might resent me someday, but for now, it was better. Just like what he believed about Zee, I should spare him the truth that Irin was also gone. He was too young for this. "She had to go somewhere."

"Will she come back?" he asked.

"I don't know," I replied, swallowing the lump in my throat. "Let's be happy for Teacher Irin. Whether she comes back or not, it's her decision. Let's just be happy for her chosen journey."

Saif nodded slowly and went to the kitchen to assist his mother. Leaning back on the couch, I massaged my temples. I didn't understand why I was doing this. Life still lay ahead of me, not confined to Irin and Zee. If they saw me like this, they would be disappointed.

But I couldn't help it.

How could one not mourn for a long time when the people you grew up with were no longer there? Those who stood by you through thick and thin were gone. I wanted to move forward, honestly, but the thought that tomorrow, there would be no Irin to share her day and the children's progress with haunted me.

"Bec..." Freen's voice interrupted my thoughts. "You're spacing out again. Are you sure you're okay now?" she asked.

I glanced around, not spotting Saif behind her. She sat beside me on the couch, reaching for my hand.

That's when I realized I wasn't alone. Despite Irin and Zee being gone, I still had Freen. Even when the world turned its back on me.

I couldn't meet Freen's eyes. She had been worried, and rightly so, as I hadn't answered her calls in the past days. She had come personally to check on me.

"I heard from Nam that you canceled all your events and appointments today. Your fans were worried. They started blaming the company," Freen said, chuckling. "They're concerned about you. You haven't updated for three days."

"I want to be alone," I replied. "That's why..." I added.

"I know it still hurts. But you can always talk to me. Ask me anything, you know that?" Freen smiled, gently caressing my cheek. "I'm here, Bec."

I sighed. Perhaps it was time to move on. Irin would scold me for allowing myself to become like this. She left because she believed I could handle myself now. She trusted me to take care of myself.

"Aren't you going to eat?" I asked.

"Let's eat?" Freen suggested. "I cooked your favorite." She grinned and helped me stand up.

In the kitchen, Saif was happily devouring his meal. His feet couldn't reach the floor, and he swung them, indicating his enjoyment.

"Aunt Becky," Saif called, drawing my attention.

Taking a seat, I waited for his words, and he continued looking at me with his adorable gaze.

"I love you!" he smiled, forming a heart shape with his hands, making me laugh.

"I love you too, Saif. Now, eat up." I chuckled.

Freen smiled at the sight, and as we began eating, she patted my hand on the table, mouthing the same words her son had told me.

"I love you more," I whispered, and she blushed.

I shook my head at Freen's cuteness. This was it. This was my cue. I should live my life to the fullest with these two.