Chapter 55

Freen kept her promise. The next morning, she invited me into her home. Initially, I felt nervous, but when her mother greeted me with a warm smile, a wave of relief washed over me.

It had been so long since someone had smiled at me so genuinely. It made me miss my own mother.

"Please, come in. It's been ages since Freen brought a friend over. The last time she did, they ended up getting married," her mother chuckled as she ushered us inside. I had a hunch she was talking about Saint.

I knew that Freen and Saint had been childhood friends, but I didn't pry into the specifics of their relationship. I understood I shouldn't harbor any resentment toward him since he wasn't the one who seduced my father. Still, the thought of my father taking care of him instead of me gnawed at me.

"Good morning," I greeted Freen's parents politely as they held the door open for us.

"You must be Freen's new artist, right?" Her father smiled at me. "She's spoken highly of you, and it's clear she wasn't exaggerating."

"Yes, Freen mentioned you when we talked on the phone. She called you a hidden gem. I promised her I'd watch your movie once it's released," her mother added, which made me blush a bit.

As we settled in the living room, they invited me to sit on the couch. Freen looked nervous and finally called out to her parents.

However, just as she began to speak, her phone rang, and she had no choice but to answer it. She excused herself, and we nodded understandingly.

"You know, every time Freen answers the phone, it takes her hours to return," Freen's dad shook his head and sighed.

I couldn't relate since whenever she was on the phone with me, she kept it short to focus on our conversation.

"Anyway, while we wait for her, let us show you around the house," her mother suggested, motioning for me to stand up. I followed them as they pointed out pictures of Freen from her younger days hanging on the wall. They were bursting with pride over Freen's achievements.

"I always thought Freen wouldn't get married because she was so devoted to her company. So, we arranged a wedding for her. I expected her to object, but she accepted it with great enthusiasm," Freen's mom mentioned, smiling as she looked at the picture of Saint and Freen's wedding.

My heart swelled with admiration as I observed their pride. Freen was indeed fortunate to have such supportive parents. It was clear they played a significant role in her life. Maybe that's why she couldn't bring herself to defy them.

"Freen struggled to make friends while she was busy with her studies. Thankfully, she met Saint at a young age, and they became incredibly close. They were perfectly compatible," Freen's dad revealed. "However, there was a time when Freen was unfaithful to her husband, and it disappointed us. She apologized profusely and promised it wouldn't happen again. You see, we never taught her to be anything but loyal and faithful."

I forced a smile and nodded. "Freen is truly wonderful."

"Yes, and we're thrilled she's found such a beautiful friend in you," Freen's mother said, gently caressing my cheek.

Freen's parents shared more about her, recounting stories of her tears after coming second in a quiz bee, her determination to win a swimming competition, and how she conquered her fears.

They had dedicated themselves to raising Freen to be the best, and their love for her was evident. How could I possibly disrupt that for her?

"Why are you so quiet?" Freen asked when we entered her room, as her parents retired to their own room.

"You never mentioned how perfect your family is," I replied with a bitter smile.

"Why?" Freen looked at me with concern.

"Tell me, Freen. Be honest with me. Why did you end things between us before? I want a detailed answer," I said, taking a seat on the edge of her bed and waiting for her response.

Freen sighed and joined me on the bed. "I didn't intend to flirt with you like that. I was drawn to your easy-going vibe. But then I heard from Saint that you were his sister, and he wanted to make amends by offering you more work since you wouldn't accept help from him," she began. "He told me you despised your father for choosing another woman over your family. So, I assumed you wouldn't forgive me once you discovered I'd become the person you despise the most." Freen reached for my hand.

"I thought the same," I murmured.

"Huh?" Freen asked, looking at me intently. "I don't quite understand."

"I don't think I can marry you, Freen," I said, raising my head to meet her gaze.

My heart raced as I spoke. I wasn't sure if I was making the right choice, but I knew that the right thing wasn't always the best thing.

"We agreed yesterday, Becky. Why would you say that?" Freen asked, a nervous chuckle escaping her lips. "Did my parents say something? I can talk to them." Freen stood up, but I reached out and held her hands, shaking my head.

"They were incredibly polite, Freen. They were so kind. I now understand why you can't defy them," I told her. "You're lucky to have them, Freen. I can't bear to be the reason for those smiles to fade."

"Bec..." Freen reached for my hands, gently squeezing them.

Tears welled up as I saw the pleading in her eyes, as if she were begging me to take back my words.

"We discussed this, didn't we? You promised to marry me. I'll marry you once Saint and I get divorced. Please, Becky," Freen pleaded, placing my hands on her cheeks. "Don't say this. We'll face it together."

I shook my head, swallowing the lump in my throat. "I can't break up a family, Freen. I know how that feels. I don't want to ruin you. I don't want to be the cause of your downfall."

"I don't care about anything else right now, Becky. I can take care of you. I choose you above all else," Freen reassured me.

"You've worked so hard, my love," I whispered, wiping away her tears, which only seemed to make her cry harder. "You have, and I'm proud of you. But this isn't what I want, Freen. I agreed to be your secret because you didn't love Saint and didn't have children with him. But hearing your parents talk about you, how exceptional you are as a daughter, how perfect you are—I can't bear to take that away from you."

"Becky, please stop. Stop saying these things. I'll be with you no matter what. Please..." Freen hugged me tightly, sobbing into my chest. "Please, I can't face this alone."

I stared at the ceiling, wiping my own tears away. "Then don't, Freen. If we're meant to be, it will be.

a/n: Second to the last chappy! 💙