Chapter 60

"Saif!"

We both turned in the direction of the voice calling Saif, and it was Freen. She had changed from her white gown into a more comfortable black dress.

"Mommy." Saif walked over to her, and she took his hand. "I don't want to go to sleep yet," he said, his voice soft but still audible.

They looked adorable together, especially when Freen knelt to be at her child's level.

"It's past 10 pm. A young boy like you won't grow if you don't get some sleep. Go with the nanny so she can take you home," Freen gestured to Saif's nanny, who promptly came over. "Make sure he gets a good night's rest."

The nanny nodded and led Saif away. As he left, he cast a last, wistful look in my direction before disappearing into the night.

I returned to my spot and continued gazing at the moon, deep in thought.

"You looked lovely tonight," Freen said, making me look in her direction. She had joined me by the stars, now in her black dress.

"Aren't you going to take your child home?" I asked.

"Saif knows I have to stay here until the party ends. He understands," Freen sighed. "It's been five years, Becky. You still talk to me as if I weren't your boss."

"Sorry," I said, feeling awkward.

I hadn't expected this. I didn't see this coming. I thought if Freen and I ever met again, she would hold a grudge because of what I did before. Maybe she didn't, because during those times, I wasn't around. She had Saif, her beloved son.

"Saif's nanny mentioned that you saved him once. I owe you for that. So I'll let it slide," Freen chuckled without looking at me.

"I had no idea that you and Saint would become a family one day. I thought you might leave him since he didn't like you, and you didn't like him, right?" I asked.

"Well..." Freen sighed and turned to me. "I was planning to leave him at one point and had worked up the courage to tell my parents. But the moment I was ready, the one person I was willing to fight for gave up on me."

Was she referring to me? Who else could it be? I was the only one who left her the moment she was ready to take a risk.

"I was trying to prevent chaos. And now, look, it seems I was right. You had Saif. He's a wonderful boy," I confessed, licking my lips as the awkwardness hung between us.

"Then I guess I should thank you," she said. "Thank you for not staying."

It was a show of gratitude, but it stung. I shouldn't be feeling regret right now. I chose this path. Now, I was overthinking things. If only I'd fought for her, would we be happy? Saif might not even exist.

"I believed it was the best choice for us. And thank you too, for not holding grudges against me. For not jeopardizing my career over what happened," I replied.

"I'm not that shallow, Becky. I'm still your boss, and you're investing in my company. Although, your contract is nearly over," Freen said, looking me in the eyes. "Are you willing to continue working under my label?"

"Why not? Your company has made me famous. I'll stay until I retire," we both chuckled and returned our gaze to the stars.

To be honest, I was curious. I wanted to ask her what happened during those years. What transpired when she went to UK? What had happened with Saint, and why did Saif tell me that he wasn't acting like a father? Why did Saif say that if it weren't for me, his mother would be a star?

I looked at Freen, who was closing her eyes, savoring the midnight breeze. She was still as beautiful as ever. Her lips remained soft and pink, tempting me to kiss them. God, I missed her so much. How could I have left her before?

"Becky," she said.

I shifted my gaze away when Freen spoke, pretending not to be caught staring at her.

"Yes?" I answered.

"If you were given a second chance..." Freen began but then stopped. "Never mind," she waved her hand dismissively and turned away.

What was she trying to say? A second chance at what? A second chance with us?

"I would, Freen," I said, even though her question was left unfinished.

Freen looked at me with a puzzled expression.

"I would take you away from him if he didn't want to be a father to Saif and a husband to you. I would fill that role," I declared.

Freen looked at me for a moment and then walked away, ignoring my response. Maybe it wasn't the right answer to her unfinished question, but I wanted her to know that I still wanted her in my life.

This time, I wasn't breaking up a family; I was just willing to fill the role that Saint couldn't.