Chapter 78

FREEN
Five Years Ago

I stood on the rooftop, my eyes tracing the stars glittering in the night sky. Saif's innocent voice interrupted my thoughts, pulling me back to reality.

"Mom?" Saif called my name.

He was in perfect timing. In perfect timing before I would definitely take my own life. Before I could jump off this building.

"Are you enjoying the moon?" he asked and walked in my direction. "Or do you want to be a star?"

"Your mommy is already a star. But I want to be one of those stars." I pointed to the stars above in heaven that were twinkling in the dark.

"But why?" he asked. "Are you going to leave me?"

"You're going to be fine with your grandpa and grandma. They love you so much," I said and gently ruffled his hair.

"But I want to come with you. If you want to be one of them. I want to, too." He pouted and looked at me. "And this lady in my locket. She would be very sad if she found out that you became one of the stars."

Saif opened the locket Zee gave him when he was a baby. There was a picture of Becky in there. I didn't know why Zee gave him that and told Saif that I was the one who gave it to him. Perhaps, he wanted his son to know that Becky was part of his life before. That he once loved her. So, I decided to replace that locket with my picture. So if ever he got lost, they knew where to take him back.

At first, I was jealous. I envied Zee for taking the courage to let Becky go. Because if you asked me one hundred times. My answers would be the same. I wouldn't. I didn't want anyone to have her. This wasn't an obsession but rather love. I was willing to break up with her for the mean time but I wouldn't let her be with someone else. I couldn't bear it. It would kill me.

However, it's been five years since Becky left. I heard everything about her. How she survived the criticism, how she managed to get on top and became the most popular actress, and she continued to live on despite the challenges. I admired her for being so strong and now I realized that she didn't need me anymore, made me give up.

What's the purpose of my life without the only person I love? My parents were not around anymore. My husband was hurting me physically, the reason why I decided to go back. But seeing Becky happy made my heart broke in pieces. How could she be happy after leaving me like that? I wanted to get back at her but we're not kids anymore. And I was afraid that if ever she looked at me it would make my knees weak. With her single word, I would go back to her.

It's so hard not to fall in love with someone like her.

"Mommy. I want to meet her." Saif hugged my thighs tightly. "I want to thank her, because of her you're still here."

"I'm here because of you, my love." I caressed Saif's hair. "I love you more than anything."

And that's when I realized that I still have many reasons to live and one of them is Saif.

Time passed and I decided to move forward. It was difficult but with the help of my son I finally had the courage. And what made it easier when Becky went back to me on her own. I didn't expect it.

I thought everything was fine when I got another threat from my Saint.

"Don't tell her about Saif, or else I won't make her life easy, Freen." Saint told me. "Remember, I am the producer of your new series. I can take her out if I want to. I can tarnish her reputation if I want to."

"I'll tell her that Saif isn't yours!" I yelled at him.

But before I could, Becky started to doubt me. Perhaps, Saint already told her something. I didn't want to tell her the whole truth since I was preparing for Saif too. I couldn't just tell my son that he wasn't mine at all.

"You're naive. You're selfish. I've had enough, Freen. I lost myself loving you so much. Asking for the truth is too much for you? If you want to conceal everything, let's go our separate ways. I don't want to be your lover anymore. I don't want this relationship. I don't want you!" she yelled and walked out.

My heart sank over and over again. I watched her walk away and prevented my tears from falling down.

"But I want to be with you. Simple, but complicated too." I whispered to myself.

Why couldn't I love her with no problems? Why couldn't I be with her in peace? If I were a man, I think it wouldn't be a sin to love Becky that much. If I were not married, it would be so easy. If I wasn't considering anyone's feelings, it would be a walk in the park. But life wasn't like that. I wish it could be like that.

"Did you tell that to Becky, don't you?" Saint yelled at me as he grabbed my jaw forcefully. "I have nothing now! Are you happy?"

"I didn't tell her anything!" I removed his hands from me but he slapped me violently.

"She's using my father against me, Freen! She's playing dirty!" He yelled and shattered the vase he saw. "That fucker!"

I only lowered my head. Becky didn't start this. He was the one who provoked her. I knew what she was up to but I wouldn't tell him anything. And I also knew what he would do if I started seeing Becky again. So, in the mean time, I would stay here. I would wait until no one could separate us again. Because for now. I had nothing.

The only thing I have is the hope that Becky will come back for me and fulfill her promise that she will do everything for me.