Chapter 26

"Not here!" I exclaimed, my voice raised in protest as Freen forcefully carried me on her shoulder and tossed me onto the bed in her condo. "Take me back to the club! I don't want to be here!" I continued, getting up, but she gently pushed me back onto the bed and locked the door.

"Why? You want to spend the night with that older guy? He's already 43!" Freen retorted, her voice filled with disbelief.

I was taken aback. He didn't look that old.

"You nearly hooked up with someone twice your age! Do you realize that?" she asked, her anger palpable.

"So what? I even seduced my professor, who was twice my age!" I shot back defiantly.

"Shut up, Armstrong!" Freen snapped. "Why are you acting like this? This isn't like you."

"You made me like this, Freen," I replied. "You took away my innocence, and now I'm craving it. Is it wrong to seek someone who can fulfill it? I'm a grown woman, Freen. I'm not a child. I have needs," I lied.

I didn't really care about my sex life. I didn't need someone to kiss me every morning or a lover. But when Freen introduced me to these feelings, I couldn't help but yearn for them. I thought I could find them elsewhere, but no one else could match what Freen did to me. I was addicted, but only to her. It was the most frustrating experience of my life.

Freen averted her gaze. "I'll take you home. Call your housemate."

"I told her I'm not going home. Take me back to the club," I insisted, causing her to look at me.

"I told you, it's not safe there. There are plenty of guys who might try to take advantage of you," Freen reminded me, raising her eyebrows.

"But it's not any safer here with you, Freen. Remember? You took 'advantage' of me," I scoffed. "So if you won't take me back, I'll go by myself." I stood up and went to open the door, but she grabbed my arm and pushed me back onto the bed.

"Could you please stop?" Freen asked, clearly irritated. "Can't you see I'm concerned about your safety? I won't do anything to you tonight. Is that clear?" Freen said firmly.

I was taken aback. "Why are you doing this, Freen?" I asked. "Why are you taking me home if you don't want to be with me?"

"You're drunk. Go to sleep," Freen said as she turned to leave. But I couldn't let it go.

"Why do you want to end things between us? Why are you acting like nothing happened between us?" I questioned, my voice trembling. "I'm doing this because I want to understand why you're pushing me away. If you don't want me anymore, just tell me instead of leaving me in the dark."

"I don't love you, Becky. Is that what you want to hear?" Freen turned to face me. "I made a mistake, and I don't want you to make the same one."

"Is that a CEO's concern?" I scoffed. "You sleep with me, and now you're saying it was a mistake, so you don't want me to be with anyone else either?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes, now please, shut up and get some sleep," Freen insisted, but I shook my head.

"I don't believe that's the only reason, Freen. There's more to it than that. Did you find someone better than me?" I asked, grabbing her face to make her look at me. "Did someone make you happier than I did? Was there someone else who satisfied you more than I could?"

"No one, Becky!" She yelled, removing my hand from her face. "No one, okay?"

"Then why?" I shouted again. "Why can't I have you all to myself, Freen?" Tears streamed down my face.

"No one has ever made me feel the way you do, Becky, and that's why I keep coming back to you. But this is wrong. Someday, you'll understand," Freen said softly, making me sit back on the bed and gently caressing my cheek. "You're drunk. You should rest," she said and kissed my eyes.

"Freen..." I sobbed. "If I can't have you, can I at least be with someone else, please? Don't lock me in. Don't suffocate me."

Freen knelt in front of me. "I'm sorry. I want to be selfish for a moment. So please, just be patient for a while. Stop seeing other people, okay?"

As soon as Freen left, I felt suffocated again. I lay down on the bed, covering my face with a pillow, and cried my heart out.

It was confusing. I felt suffocated. We weren't in a relationship, but why did it hurt so much? Why couldn't I be free?

a/n: 4 chapters 👀