n i n e t e e n

Liam begged to get dropped off at the Sheriff station as I went home. When I got home my mom was asleep on the couch.

"Where's your brother?"

"With Mason." I said, which was true he did meet Mason there.

"Okay." She said sleepily and adjusted herself. I dropped my keys in the dish and went up to my room.

I sat on my bed, dropping my stuff. I laid back and shut my eyes. My bedroom door opened and I opened my right eye. I saw Brett shutting the door.

"Finally came through the front?"

"I knocked on the door." He said. "Hoping you would answer, but your mom did."

"And what did she say?" I asked.

"Asked how I was doing, told me Liam wasn't home. And then was surprised when I said I was here for you." He sat next to me. I laid my head in his lap.

"Well, Scott told Liam why he doesn't want me around anymore."

"And why is that?"

"He said I was useless." I replied.

He played with my hair, "I don't think that's true."

"That's why I need your help to show that I am important. And totally usefull." I shut my eyes.

"Maybe in the morning." He said. "You're really tired."

"I still haven't gotten my things from your house."

"I can bring it over tomorrow after school."

"I forgot school was still a thing." I opened my eyes and looked up at him. "I'm probably failing every class."

"I doubt it."

"I don't." I said.

"How about you get some sleep." He said.

I nodded and sat up before I stood. I went over to my closet and took my shirt off. I put on a fresh one, before dropping my skirt and grabbing sweatpants.

"You actually own sweatpants."

I smiled at Brett, "Indeed I do."

I walked over and sat on my bed. Brett sat at the end of my bed.

"Are you gonna stay?" I asked.

He shook his head, "Not tonight."

I nodded as I laid down. Brett covered me with a blanket and kissed my forehead before walking out of the room, shutting off the light.

------------

I woke up the next morning to my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Please come get your brother and Mason."

"They're at the hospital?" I asked, sitting up.

"And bugging about dead bodies."

"I'll be there soon."

I hung up as I stood. I didn't bothering changing. I slipped on some vans and ran down the stairs. I grabbed my keys and ran ouside. I sat in my car and turned the engine on. I looked at my stereo time.

"Six in the fucking morning Liam, really?"

I pulled out of the driveway and started down the road. When I arrived at the hospital I ran inside, due to it being cold outside. I saw them standing in the lobby.

"Okay, let's find the nematon." Liam said and turned to start running.

"I don't think so." I stopped him. "You told me you'd be home last night at a decent hour."