t h i r t y - e i g h t

I sat on the couch, a cup of coffee in my hands. My greasy hair was tied up in a bun. I had make up smeared on my face. I had on sweat pants and an oversized Beacon Hills lacrosse shirt. My step father had been working the past twelve hours and was going to work the next twelve as well. My mom was out of state with her friends. Liam was in his room. 

But I sat on the couch. I had been there since I woke up there about two this morning. I don't remember much after witnessing my boyfriend and his sister's death. There weree bits and pieces I remember. All I know for sure is that I had eventually blacked out. 

It was about seven now, but all I had done all morning was make coffee. There was a pounding knock at the front door. I stood, placing the mug on the side table. I walked to the door and pulled it open. In front of me was Scott. 

"Where's Liam?" He asked. 

"In bed." I said. 

"Why?" He asked and pushed past me. "He's got school."

I shut the door and turned to Scott. 

"He's tired." I said. 

"He's avoiding his problems." Scott said. 

"Well maybe." I said. "Two people he's known most of his life just died as he watched." 

A tear rolled down my face as I wiped it away quickly. 

"Blaire." Scott said as he touched my arm. 

"Don't." I said and took a step back. "I'm pathtic, still crying about it." 

"You're not pathetic for crying the day after the boy you loved and his sister were murdered." Scott said. 

I looked into his eyes, "Lori pushed me out of the way to keep me from getting hurt, to keep the baby from getting hurt." I cried. 

"She loved you Blaire." 

"I could have saved them, I could have done something." I wiped away tears. "I just want to curl up and never move again." 

"Blaire, listen to me. I didn't know Brett that well, but I know that he'd want you go on and live life without him. He would want you to take care of this baby. He would want you to love the world again." 

"I can't keep this baby." I said. 

"Of course you can Blaire, because I know that even if this baby grows up without their father, that you have such a big heart. And you will love this baby enough for Brett and yourself." Scott said. 

I looked up at him, "But it'll remind me of what happened." 

"It will remind you of what you and Brett had." He said. "You guys went from wanting to rip each others throats out to being in love. I've never seen two people love so deeply Blaire." 

I tilted my head, "Thanks Scott." 

"Anytime." He smiled. He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me. "And please think about keeping the baby." 

"I will." I said. 

We pulled away, "Now for Liam." He smiled. 

He ran up the stairs. He turned into Liam's room. I put my hand on my stomach. I smiled, then ran upstairs. I went straight for my bathroom to shower. 

I stripped of my clothes and stepped in, I began washing my body and hair. 

Once I was done I got dressed in a frill tank top, with ripped jeans. I blow dried my hair as I saw Liam peak his head in. 

"I'm leaving with Scott." He said. "You gonna be okay all day?"

I turned and looked at him, "I'll manage."