t h i r t y - f i v e

The next day I spent the morning getting some more stuff packed, until I got a call from Mason. Apparently there was some type of rat attack at the high school so I was told to meet them in the tunnels. 

I got out of my car and saw Liam and Mason waiting. 

"Hey." I said. 

"Let's go." Liam said and we walked to the entrance of the tunnels and went down. 

I grabbed out my phone, turning on my flashlight as the boys grabbed out their flashlights. 

"You know, it's not as irrational as you think." Mason said. "There's actually an evolutionary advantage of having an innate fear of spiders, snakes and rats." 

"How do you know they came from here?" I asked. 

"Well they came clawing through the vents, and those pipes lead directly down here."

"What is that?" Liam asked, stepping closer to a group of dead rats on the ground. 

"Oh my god." I said and covered my mouth. 

"It's a rat king." 

"As if I didn't hate rodents enough." I stepped back.

"We need Malia." Mason said. 

"I'll call her." I said and clicked on her number. 

"Hello?" She asked. 

"We need you down in the tunnels." I said. 

"Be there in a minute." 

She hung up and we waited for her to show up. Once she did we walked over to the rats. 

"You've got two minutes." She told us. 

"What do you think happened?" Liam asked. 

Malia leaned down. 

"Rats freaked out, crawled all over each other. Got their tails knotted up. And tore each other apart trying to get out." She said and pulled one out. 

"You read up on rat kings?" Mason asked. 

"What's a rat king?" Malia asked, holding the rat up. She took a smell and swung it over to Liam and as we backed up. 

"Ew, ew, ew." I said, holding my brother's arm. 

"Oh! I'm good. Thank you." Liam said. 

Mason stepped back even further, "Yep. I'm. I'm good just over here." 

"Can you smell it? It's fear." Malia said.

Liam pushed her hand down to drop the rat. 

"Yeah it's the same as the ones in the math classroom." 

"Why were there rats in a classroom?" Malia asked. 

"They ran in during second period, uh, about fifty of them." 

"Your two minutes are up." 

"Where are you going?" 

"Paris, this isn't my problem." Malia said. 

"Me too." I said and began following her. "As much as I'd like to help I really have to start focusing on Princeton." 

"Blaire!" Liam said. "Come on!" 

"Sorry, you wanted to be the new Alpha." I shrugged and began walking back .

"We need to get to the hospital." I heard Liam say. 

I shook my head. 

I arrived back at my car and went straight to a thai take out place in town. I got some food then went to the hospital. I saw my brother and Mason with Melissa.