Part Six

It had been a week since the ball and Rose was spending more and more time with Eugene, she was currently reading a book spread across the grass of the Sledge's garden with her head resting on Eugene's legs, Mrs Sledge walked up to the pair with two glasses of water which caused Rose to sit up and reach her glass "thank you Mrs Sledge" the women only smiled in return before turning to her son "honestly Eugene, you look like a gangster with those glasses on" she said with laughter in her voice, Rose laughed slightly "i think that's my fault Mrs Sledge" Rose looked towards Eugene "i kinda like him when he wears his sunglasses" the women nodded with a smile before she continued to talke "your brother's coming for supper this evening, he's been made some kind of supervisor at the bank" she paused for a moment looking at the son waiting for him to speak and when he did he joked "we need to get our money out of that bank" Rose looked towards the women as she moved closer "i'm sure Edward could arrange a starting position for you" the mother played with her hands as Rose watched Eugene shake his head and answer "i'm never gonna work in a bank mother" Rose couldn't tell but she was sure that she could feel his eyes staring at her as his mother talked again "well, you need to make a plan for the future, Rose here is going back to school" Rose looked down at her hands as she began to feel awkward at the use of her name, Eugene watched Rose fiddle with her hands as he told his mother "my plan is to do nothing for a while"his voice was quiet and his mother was cut off by saying anything else by Dr Sledge "leave them alone" Mrs Sledge walked over to her husband and began to complain about her "idle" son as Dr Sledge defended him. Rose moved closer to Eugene and rested her back against the tree copying him, Rose felt Eugene's hand come to rest on her thigh as the pair looked at the garden in front of them.

The next day the sun was shining and Rose found herself led next to Eugene who was playing with some flowers, the picnic they had been on abandoned to the side of them, "here" Eugene said as he placed a flower behind Rose ear, he left his hand there gently stroking her cheek. They stayed in that position until Eugene slowly leaned in and kissed Rose gently on the lips, the kiss was soft and sweet and when they pulled away Rose began to giggle slightly and Eugene looked at her questioningly "why are you laughing?" he asked as he sat up and looked down at Rose who sat up with him "i don't know" Rose said as she leaned against Eugene as she began to laugh harder, Eugene soon joined in and hugged Rose tightly. After their little laughing spree Eugene packed up the picnic and the pair walked hand in hand through the field together, chatting mindlessly together and enjoying each others company. As they were walking Eugene turned towards Rose with a nervous look on his face "are you alright?" Rose asked as she saw the nervous look, Eugene just looked at Rose and took a deep breath "be mine?" He asked, Rose stopped suddenly "what?" She asked as Eugene looked towards the girl "will you be my girlfriend?" Rose smiled before she nodded and leaned in to kiss Eugene who kissed back with all the love he felt for Rose.