2 🌙 Make a scene!

Jules Martin

The air in the locker room was tight, seconds before going out on the ice. I was new, freshly transferred from Toronto a week ago, and I could feel the rest of the team wasn't so stoked with me already playing at the first game, arriving so late into the semester. The lack of conversation said enough, but trust me, I didn't mind because I do not like to talk. Especially not when I'm nervous and right before a game I always am so it was best for me to keep my mouth shut.

"You okay man?" Zander, our captain, knocked his hockey stick against my helmet for attention.

"Y-y-yeah." I stuttered terribly. Fuck! Not now! Told you, I hate to talk when I'm nervous, it's when it gets worse.  

"Relax Julia, that puck isn't going to eat you." Zander said, rolling his eyes a little before walking towards the exit of the locker room. Julia? Really? Asshole!

"Ass." I whispered after him, deciding not to say anything else. Fucking stutter. I scoffed at the fact my stutter made me come across so damn insecure when that was definitely not the case. People always saw me as a hotshot until I opened my mouth and the words didn't quite seem to match the image.

I followed the stream of players towards the rink, instantly feeling relieved as soon as my blades touched some ice, a feeling I couldn't live without, not even after the accident. Only minutes into the warm-up I found myself rolling my eyes one time after the other when I saw Zander doing trick shots... Such a show-off. Rolling my eyes, I caught a glimpse of someone in the audience and my gaze instantly froze on her. My always certain focus before a game wasn't so certain anymore when everything around me froze as I watched her talk to her friends.  Time didn't even seem to be passing as something about her was magnetizing, like she was the only person really present here. Focus Jules...

I tried to get a grip, but even all grip around my stick was gone when I saw her, really see her. She was frowning, bugged about something her friends were obviously teasing her about and I couldn't hide the smile, caused by her rather angry expression. Her icy blonde hair stands stood out next to her beanie, and I had to give it to her that she looked adorable in that varsity hoodie. Damn... Stop staring at her.

I tried to shake away the magnetic field that was drawing me in more than I wanted, as I went for another round on the ice, but as much as I tried not to look back up again I did. She was looking down, smiling at someone and much to my annoyance it there was Zander mouthing something to her. Of course... I almost gave myself another concussion with all the head shakes, rolling my eyes at Zander's presence on the ice. Fuck my life... I groaned at the thought of him warming her up like that, mouthing sweet nothings or who knows what, and suddenly I disliked him even more. I knew I shouldn't be bothered about a cute blonde in the audience, but something about her was different, like I said, as if she was real opposed to everyone else.

As soon as the game started I tried to keep it together. Not even once did I strain to look at her even though I really want to, except for one weak moment. It was a big mistake as one second of not paying attention caused me to get checked, pain instantly shooting through my right arm, slamming the ice hard. Before I knew it, Zander was by my side, helping me to my feet. My ears are ringing but not loud enough to cancel out the sound of his request.

"Make a scene, he'll get a penalty." He whispered silently. Go fucking wank yourself in the penalty box

I instantly frowned at that. Who the fuck does he think he is... I'm not going to pretend I'm hurt enough to sit on the bench for the rest of the game. No. "No!" I muttered in anger, not even stuttering as I never do when I'm angry.