1 Lazarus Rising: Part 2

Late that night, we parked in front of the Astoria Motel in Illinois and made our way down to Sam's room. We walked to the end of the hallway until we reached room number 207. Dean gave Bobby and me a quick look and then knocked on the door.

The door swung open a moment later, and a girl with long brunette hair, wearing only a tank top and underwear, opened the door. "So, where is it?"

Dean furrowed his brow. "Where's what?"

The girl raised her eyebrows. "The pizza... that takes two guys and a little girl to deliver?"

Dean chuckled. "I think we got the wrong room."

Sam stepped into the center of the room. "Hey, is—" He stopped dead in his tracks, flicking his eyes from me, Bobby, and Dean.

Dean smiled. "Hey ya, Sammy," he said quietly.

Sam just stared as Dean stepped into the room, going in for a hug. Sam quickly pulled out a knife and lunged for him. Bobby and I jumped forward and pulled Sam away from Dean.

"Who are you?!" Sam shouted as he struggled to pull away from Bobby and me.

"Like you didn't do this?!" Dean yelled.

"Do what?!" Sam screamed as he continued to pull away.

"It's him. It's him. We've been through this already," Bobby said calmly.

"It's really him, Sam," I pleaded.

Sam stopped struggling. "What—"

Dean slowly approached Sam. "I know. I look fantastic, huh?"

Bobby and I let go of Sam, who stepped forward and pulled Dean into a desperate hug. They held onto each other for several seconds. I looked up at Bobby with tears in my eyes, to see that he was tearful as well. He gave me a small smile and a wink, then squeezed my arm.

The brunette cleared her throat. "So, are you two like... together?"

To be honest, I had forgotten she was even standing there.

Sam looked over at her quickly. "What? No. No. He's my brother."

The girl nodded, almost as if she didn't believe him. "Uh... got it. I— I guess. Look, I should probably go."

Sam nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Sorry." He walked over and picked up his button-up and tossed her a plaid shirt and jeans.

They got dressed, and Sam walked her to the door.

"So, call me," the girl said as she stepped out of the room.

Sam nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, sure thing, Kathy."

She looked disappointed. "Kristy."

Sam cleared his throat. "Right."

She turned and walked away. Sam closed the door and walked back into the room and sat down on the bed.

Dean watched him suspiciously. "So tell me, what'd it cost?"

Sam smiled. "The girl? I don't pay, Dean."

I could have gagged. He was acting so cocky.

Dean shook his head. "That's not funny, Sam. To bring me back. What'd it cost? Was it just your soul, or was it something worse?"

Sam furrowed his brow. "You think I made a deal?"

Bobby nodded. "That's exactly what we think."

Sam shook his head. "Well, I didn't."

"Don't lie to me," Dean said intensely.

"I'm not lying," Sam said.