19 The Rapture: Part 2

We stopped at a gas station to fill up, and I waited outside with Dean while Sam went into the store to make a call.

I paced around nervously for a moment. I was trying to build the courage to tell Dean what I should've told him a while ago.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I looked up at him quickly. "Uh, what?" I shrugged. "Nothing."

Dean nodded suspiciously. "Okay."

I sighed. "Um, I have to tell you something, but please don't be mad at me for not telling you sooner. I just— I was just being stupid. Placing hope in something that was never going to happen." I shook my head. "I don't know what I was thinking."

"What is it?" Dean asked, now looking very concerned.

"It's, uh— it's about Sam." I shook my head. "There's not really a way to sugar coat it, so I'm just going to say it— He's been drinking, uh, demon blood." I cringed.

Dean thought for a second. "What?"

I nodded. "I found a flask of blood in his bag a while ago, and he finally admitted it to me a few days ago."

"What did he say?" Dean asked.

"He said it makes him stronger," I said.

Dean nodded and was just silent.

"I'm sorry," I said, starting to feel my throat tighten.

Dean shook his head. "You have nothing to apologize for."

"I shouldn't have kept it a secret from you," I said, "I was hoping he would stop or something."

Dean shook his head. "You shouldn't've had to keep a secret like that at all."

He looked over at Sam, who was now walking out to the Impala but didn't say anything to him. He didn't even hint at any anger toward him. It was actually kind of scary because I had no idea what was going through Dean's head.

Sam stepped into the Impala, the bags under his eyes looked darker than usual. I had noticed it a little before, but now he just looked exhausted and worn out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We finally made our way to Jimmy's house, but immediately ran in when we heard screaming.

When we burst through the door, Jimmy was on the floor being attacked by a demon woman while a man smiled and watched it play out. A young girl cowered in the corner of the room. Dean grabbed the man and slit his throat with Ruby's knife, immediately killing him. The demon woman stood up and glared at us.

Sam reached his hand out and stopped her from moving with his abilities. "Go. Get them out of here."

Dean ushered the little girl and Jimmy to the door. "Go, go."

Sam tried to exorcise the demon with his abilities, but he was struggling and looked like he was about to pass out.

The demon smiled as she approached him. "Aw. Can't get it up, can you, Sam?"

"No, but I can," Dean said as he ran up and tried to stab her with Ruby's knife, but the demon smoked out just in time. He grabbed Sam's arm, and then the three of us ran out to the Impala.

"Thank god," Jimmy said, relieved.

"Where's your wife?" Dean asked.

"Right here," she said from behind us.

Dean nodded. "Let's go."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *