6 Yellow Fever: Part 2

The next day, Sam had me wait with Dean back at the motel to keep an eye on him, while he called Bobby about whatever was going on with Dean. However, Dean refused to let us stay up in our room, so we sat out in the Impala while we waited for Sam. Dean was lying on the front seat playing air drums to Eye of the Tiger. I just laughed and shook my head at him.

When Sam banged on the roof of the car, Dean jumped and got out of the Impala. "Dude. Look at this." He showed Sam his arm, where he had three irritated scratch marks from him itching.

Sam nodded. "I just talked to Bobby." He handed Dean a box of donuts.

"And?" Dean asked, sniffed the donuts, and then tossed them into the car.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked and then pulled out a chocolate frosted with sprinkles and took a huge bite.

Sam gave Dean a look of concern and continued, "Um, well, you're not gonna like it."

"What?" Dean asked, nervously.

"It's ghost sickness," Sam said.

"Ghost sickness?" I asked.

Sam nodded. "Yeah."

"God, no," Dean said as if it was the worst thing he had ever heard.

Sam nodded. "Yeah."

Dean shook his head. "I don't even know what that is."

"Okay. Some cultures believe that certain spirits can infect the living with a disease, which is why they stopped displaying bodies in houses and started taking them off to funeral homes," Sam explained.

Dean nodded. "Okay, get to the good stuff."

Sam sighed. "Symptoms are, you get anxious..."

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

"Then scared, then really scared, then your heart gives out. Sound familiar?" Sam asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, but Sam, we haven't seen a ghost in weeks."

Sam shrugged. "Well, I doubt you caught it from a ghost. Look, once a spirit infects that first person, ghost sickness can spread like any sickness through a cough, a handshake, whatever. It's like the flu. Now, Frank O'Brien was the first to die, which means he was probably the first infected. Patient zero."

Dean nodded. "Our very own outbreak monkey."

Sam nodded and continued explaining, "Right. Get this, Frank was in Maumee over the weekend. Softball tournament. Which is where he must have infected the other two victims."

"Were they Gamecocks?" Dean asked.

Sam shook his head. "Cornjerkers."

"So, ghosts infected Frank. He passed it onto the other guys, and I got it from his corpse?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded. "Right."

"So, now what? I have forty-eight hours before I go insane, and my heart stops?" Dean asked.

"More like twenty-four," Sam said.

"Super," Dean said sarcastically.

Sam nodded. "Yeah."

"Well, why me?" Dean asked, "Why not you? I mean, you got hit with the spleen juice."

Sam raised his eyebrows. "Yeah, um, you see Bobby, and I have a theory about that too. Turns out all three victims shared a certain, uh, personality type. Frank was a bully. The other two victims, one was a vice-principal, the other was a bouncer."